Résumé with monsters (1995)

by William Browning Spencer

Obsessed with H. P. Lovecraft's "Great Old Ones," Philip Kenan keeps malign cosmic entities at bay by constantly revising his novel, The Despicable Quest. While Philip's preoccupied with the monsters lurking behind every cubicle at his dead-end job, his exasperated girlfriend flees--heading straight into the horror that lies at the heart of the corporate world.… (more)

Philip Kenan works a tedious job at a print shop, and spends much of the free time his boss grudgingly allows him endlessly fiddling with the bloated horror novel he's been writing for the last twenty years. But he doesn't believe the Lovecraftian horrors he's writing about are merely fiction. He's seen them. Or he thinks he has, at least, even if everyone else in his life thinks he's crazy.

The basic concept here is something like the Cthulhu Mythos meets Office Space, with Lovecraft's monstrous Old Ones either representing or in league with the soul-crushing systems of corporate America. Which is an utterly irresistible premise. But, despite the fact that there are some really fun ideas and entertaining moments, this story never quite clicked for me the way I wanted it to. I'm not entirely sure why. I think mostly the balance between the wacky, ridiculous elements and the more serious ones never felt perfectly right, somehow. Or, at least, I was never quite able to calibrate that balance properly in my head. I suppose it also didn't help that that main character's stalkery behavior towards his ex-girlfriend was a bit of a deal-breaker for me when it came to being able to sympathize with him. Or, come to think of it, that the female characters were less believable than the extradimensional abominations.

Still, I can't help thinking that, handled the right way, this story could have served as the basis for a really entertaining offbeat movie. ( )
  bragan | Sep 6, 2017 |
Mildly amusing. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Mar 12, 2011 |
Better than Zod Wallop but still a little lite. Funny as hell. Needed more Lovecraftian prose. ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 18, 2006 |

Spencer, William BrowningAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koeb, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prahler, MichelleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ralph's One-Day Résumés was located in an industrial park that also housed insurance salesmen, auto mechanics, computer repairmen and a karate school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,263,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible