40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology by…

40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology (edition 2000)

by Beverly Lawn (Author)

"40 Short Stories continues to offer a diverse selection of classic and contemporary short fiction" Provided by publisher.
Member:davidrudy
Title:40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology
Authors:Beverly Lawn (Author)
Info:Bedford/St. Martin's (2000), 541 pages

Work Information

40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology by Beverly Lawn

this is really a very good books!
  kljhfg | Mar 26, 2008 |
I don't really remember where I got this book (most likely at school somewhere or a yard sale), but I've had it a few years. Since then the stories hae become good friends. I read some stories over and over, but I will admit there are a few I have yet to take on. It's like the long and lovely process of getting to know someone.

Out of the stories, I would highly recommend "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka, "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "Bartelby, the Scrivener" by Herman Melville, and "Happy Endings" by Margaret Atwood. This is a diverse selection made up of some of my all-time favorites. Also, they are quite useful reads, since many high school and college courses will at least mention them at some point, if not for sheer literary merit and style, for the ways they can be utilized in a classroom setting.

I am unsure if the collection is widely available, although it has several editions, but if you find it is not within your reach, I would suggest getting the table of contents, because I believe there is a little something for everyone. ( )
1 vote rslynch | Feb 19, 2008 |

Contains Achebe's Civil Peace, Atwood's Happy Endings, Baldwin's Sonny's Blues, Bambara's Lesson, Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, Cather's Paul's Case, Chekhov's Lady with the Dog, Chopin's Story of an Hour, Cisneros' House on Mango Street, Crane's Open Boat, Ellison's Battle Royal, Erdrich's Red Convertible, Faulkner's Barn Bunting, Fitzgerald's Winter Dreams, Marquez's Very Old Man with Enormous Wings, Gilman's Yellow Wallpaper, Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown, Hemingway's Clean Well-Lighted Place, Jackson's Lottery, Jewett's White Heron, Joyce's Araby, Kafka's Metamorphosis, Kawabata's First Snow on Fuji, Kincaid's Girl, Lawrence's Rocking-Horse Winner, Mahfouz's Zaabalwai, Maupassant's Necklace, Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, Mukherjee's Management of Grief, Oates' Where Are You Going Where Have You Been, O'Brien's Things THey Carried, O'Connor's Good Man is Hard to Find, Paley's Conversation with My Father, Poe's Cask of Amontillado, Porter's jiltong of Granny Weatherall, Steinbeck's Chrysanthemums, Tan's Two Kinds, Updike's A&P, Walker's Everyday Use, and Welty's Worn Path.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,861,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible