Enduring Seeds: Native American Agriculture…

Enduring Seeds: Native American Agriculture and Wild Plant Conservation (original 1989; edition 2002)

by Gary Paul Nabhan (Author), Wendell Berry (Foreword), Miguel Altieri (Foreword)

87None207,041 (4.33)None
Member:AlexSeanchai
Title:Enduring Seeds: Native American Agriculture and Wild Plant Conservation
Authors:Gary Paul Nabhan (Author)
Other authors:Wendell Berry (Foreword), Miguel Altieri (Foreword)
Info:University of Arizona Press (2002), Edition: 1, 225 pages

Enduring Seeds: Native American Agriculture and Wild Plant Conservation by Gary Paul Nabhan (1989)

No reviews

Gary Paul Nabhanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berry, WendellForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altieri, MiguelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Native Seeds/SEARCH, its founders, staff, members, and the Native American farmers who have kept the seeds alive for centuries.
I scramble through a Rocky Mountain meadow, heaped with piles of snow, searching for stalks of flowers, clusters of seeds.
[Prologue] Cupping my two hands together, I can hold a single seed of each plant that grows on the acres of desert lands where I live.
[Foreword to 1st edition] Gary Nabhan's work reminds us of what I can describe only as a sort of historical wonder: that we have paid an immense amount of attention to American Indian crops, or at least to some of them, but almost no attention at all to American Indian farming.
[Foreword to 2nd ed.] The people of the land, the Indian farmers of North America--like their counterparts in Mesoamerica, the Andean region, and the Amazon--have continuously cultivated maize, beans, squash, and other crops for more than five thousand years.

As biological diversity continues to shrink at an alarming rate, the loss of plant species poses a threat seemingly less visible than the loss of animals but in many ways more critical. In this book, one of America's leading ethnobotanists warns about our loss of natural vegetation and plant diversity while providing insights into traditional Native agricultural practices in the Americas. Gary Paul Nabhan here reveals the rich diversity of plants found in tropical forests and their contribution to modern crops, then tells how this diversity is being lost to agriculture and lumbering. He then relates "local parables" of Native American agriculture—from wild rice in the Great Lakes region to wild gourds in Florida—that convey the urgency of this situation and demonstrate the need for saving the seeds of endangered plants. Nabhan stresses the need for maintaining a wide gene pool, not only for the survival of these species but also for the preservation of genetic strains that can help scientists breed more resilient varieties of other plants. Enduring Seeds is a book that no one concerned with our environment can afford to ignore. It clearly shows us that, as agribusiness increasingly limits the food on our table, a richer harvest can be had by preserving ancient ways. This edition features a new foreword by Miguel Altieri, one of today's leading spokesmen for sustainable agriculture and the preservation of indigenous farming methods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

"As biological diversity continues to shrink at an alarming rate, the loss of plant species poses a threat seemingly less visible than the loss of animals but in many ways more critical. In this book, one of America's leading ethnobotanists warns about our loss of natural vegetation and plant diversity while providing insights into traditional Native agricultural practices in the Americas."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,567,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible