The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction…

The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction Library) (original 1966; edition 2006)

by Thomas Pynchon

9,735169559 (3.72)1 / 401
Quite unexpectedly, Mrs. Oedipa Maas finds herself the executor of the estate of Pierce Inverarity, a man she used to know in a more-or-less intimate fashion. Oedipa leaves her home and her husband and heads to Southern California to sort through Pierce's affairs. Pierce, however, did not intend for the job to be an easy one for Oedipa, and soon she becomes ensared in a surreal, hilarious, and puzzling world-wide conspiracy centered around Pierce's strange business partners and dealings.… (more)
Member:James.Danzl.III
Title:The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction Library)
Authors:Thomas Pynchon
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Paperback, 192 pages

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon (1966)

English (160)  Spanish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (168)
"I have a weekend to read!" I thought. "And Pynchon's novels are all now on the kindle! What better than to spend a few hours reading an Official Classic of 20th Century American Literature (tm)!"

I have learned that:

- I'll finally get off my butt and read Pynchon's longer novels.
- A continuum of exists from Nabokov -> Pynchon/Vonnegut -> Davis Foster Wallace that neatly explains my reading habits.
- I will spend the next week looking for loops and horns.

Greatly enjoyed the quick, short read although it leeched all sanity out of my mind. Was a bit shocked how much it read like /Infinite Jest/ in tone and style as, for some unexplained reason, I was not expecting that at all. It's a classic of literature! It's on the kindle so it's trivial to acquire. You should read it, too. ( )
  multiplexer | Jun 20, 2021 |
I thought Thomas Pynchon only wrote enormous books, so I was delighted to find out that this was a short one giving me a taste of his writing style, and a means to determine if his large books were worth tackling.

I am going to go with a resounding yes. This book is a quirky conspiracy theory themed novel involving the postal system. Leaves me further theorizing about the topic in today's world of email. I also can't get over what a great name "Genghis Cohen" is for a character. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Brilliant. ( )
  Tracyalanb | Apr 4, 2021 |
Anyone else see a connection between this and DFW's [b:The Broom of the System|6750|The Broom of the System|David Foster Wallace|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311702114s/6750.jpg|1140359]? ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |

Siemion, PiotrTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teichmann, WulfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
None, of course
One summer afternoon Mrs Oedipa Maas came home from a Tupperware party whose hostess had put perhaps too much kirsch in the fondue to find that she, Oedipa, had been named executor, or she supposed executrix, of the estate of one Pierce Inverarity, a California real estate mogul who had once lost two million dollars in his spare time but still had assets numerous and tangled enough to make the job of sorting it all out more than honorary.
The author of "The Crying of Lot 29" is Thomas Pynchon, not Kurt Vonnegut. If this is your copy, please correct the author.
Thank you.

To manage a will,
Oedipa follows the horn,
while Trystero waits.
(johnxlibris)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,345,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible