THE DEEPER MEANING OF LIFF A Dictionary of…

THE DEEPER MEANING OF LIFF A Dictionary of Things There Aren't Words… (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Douglas & Lloyd Adams, John

Series: Meaning of Liff (2)

This book will change your life. The Deeper Meaning of Liff is a specially updated edition of Douglas Adams and John Lloyd's humorous lexicon of things there should be words for. A beloved classic, The Deeper Meaning of Liff contains illustrations from Private Eye cartoonist Bert Kitchen.… (more)
Member:lescollins42
Title:THE DEEPER MEANING OF LIFF A Dictionary of Things There Aren't Words for Yet but There Ought it Be
Authors:Douglas & Lloyd Adams, John
Info:Harmony Books (1990), Hardcover

The Deeper Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams (1990)

English (17)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (19)
A dictionary for things that don't have classifications or words. This is the book I read when I get home from work and need to just lie down and read the most ridiculous but hilarious shit. Love Douglas Adams.

Grobister: One who continually and publicly rearranges the position of his genitals.

Ossining: Trying to see past the person sitting in front of you at the cinema.

Darvel: To hold out hope for a better invitation until the last possible moment. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
Essential toilet book, dip in for a minute or three and have a giggle. ( )
  CliveUK | Sep 20, 2020 |
Using placenames to describe things not in the dictionary
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
I’m surprised that I didn’t love Douglas Adams’ THE DEEPER MEANING OF LIFF: A Dictionary of Things That There Aren’t Any Words For Yet. I certainly adored his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Ely (n.) The first, tiniest inkling that something, somewhere, has gone terribly wrong.

It seems that this book was really aimed at adolescent boys who find bodily functions amusing. There were many definitions that I laughed at but it was disheartening to find that there were outdated references and all the silly juvenile witticisms.

Wembly (n.) The hideous moment of confirmation that the disaster presaged in the ely (q.v.) has actually struck.

What Adams did, along with John Lloyd, was to take actual place names from around the world and give them phony definitions of ostensibly amusing quality.

Godalming (n.) Wonderful rush of relief on discovering that the ely (q.v.) and the wembly (q.v.) were in fact false alarms.

It took me years to find a copy of this book and I’m glad I did track it down, I’m just a little bit disappointed. There were plenty of giggles but this wouldn’t be a book I’d choose to take with me to a deserted island. It’s not a keeper. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lloyd, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kitchen, BertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dictionary of things that there aren't any words for yet
Aalast (n.) One who changes his name to be nearer the front.
Liff (n.) A common object or experience for which no word yet exists.

Revised and improved
Dictionary of words for which
No words exist yet.
Annoyed with a Noak
Hoak? Left with an Exeter?
Consult dictionary.
Learn one word a week,
Enrich vocabulary,
Baffle your colleagues!
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,430,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible