Dead Funny: contains Flying Dutch and Faust…

Dead Funny: contains Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals (original 2000; edition 2005)

by Tom Holt

FLYING DUTCH - It's amazing the problems drinking can get you into. One little swig from the wrong bottle and you go from being an ordinary Dutch sea-captain to an unhappy immortal, drifting around the world with your similarly immortal crew. Little does Cornelius Vanderdecker, the Flying Dutchman, suspect that a chance encounter in an English pub might just lead to the end of his cursed life. FAUST AMONG EQUALS - The management buy-out of Hell wasn't going quite as planned. For a start, there had been that nasty business with the perjurers, and then came the news that the Most Wanted Man in History had escaped. But Kurt 'Mad Dog' Lundqvist, the foremost bounty hunter of all time, is on the case, and he can usually be relied on to get his man - even when that man is Lucky George Faustus ... Exuberant comedy from Tom Holt at his inventive best.… (more)
Member:whmcew
Title:Dead Funny: contains Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
Authors:Tom Holt
Info:Orbit (2005), Trade Paperback
Tags:Fantasy, LGT3

The First Tom Holt Omnibus: Flying Dutch & Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt (2000)

I ran across this book while browsing around in Powell's Bookstore. On the shelf, a small note touted "If Terry Pratchett was funny he'd be Tom Holt." I didn't quite believe it, but thought I'd try this book out. Flying Dutch, a story about Julius Vanderdecker the Flying Dutchman, was pretty funny. I wouldn't say it's any funnier than a random selection from Pratchett's Discworld, but it was certainly on par with Pratchett's work. Unfortunately, Faust Among Equals didn't seem to be quite as funny as Flying Dutch. It was okay, but just didn't hold my attention like Flying Dutch.

This omnibus was funny enough that I'll try another book or two by Holt before making a blanket decision on whether I like his writing or not. ( )
  Homechicken | Apr 23, 2008 |

Tom Holtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hadley,ColinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible