The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers

The Stress of Her Regard (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Tim Powers

When Michael Crawford discovers his bride brutally murdered in their wedding bed, he is forced to flee, aided by his fellow victims, the greatest poets of his day, Byron, Keats, and Shelley. Together they embark upon a desperate journey crisscrossing Europe.
Member:wee-wyrms
Title:The Stress of Her Regard
Authors:Tim Powers
Info:Ace (1991), Paperback

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers (1989)

Recently added bythePatWalker, PeteMilan, lafstern, pm.adam, private library, -Eva-, Caxur
    A Fatal Likeness by Lynn Shepherd (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are fictional attempts to fill in some of the historical gaps regarding what was really going on in the lives of the Romantic poets - particularly Percy Shelley - although the two books come to very, very different answers (A Fatal Likeness is a historical mystery, while The Stress of Her Regard goes a more supernatural route).… (more)
    Fathom by Cherie Priest (bmlg)
    bmlg: mortals caught in elemental wars
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (MyriadBooks)
    Les Cantiques de Mercure by Fabrice Colin (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: The two books are quite similar in the sense that they both emulate a story running over several centuries, displaying powerful and immortal beings. They also link magical powers with Art.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MyriadBooks)

English (27)  French (1)  All languages (28)
The first of Powers' novels I ever read, and still my favorite. My wife and I brought our scruffy, dog-eared paperback copy along to a convention where he was signing, and the way his face lit up when we sheepishly presented it is something we will never forget. He was delighted to sign a copy that had so obviously been read over and over, versus all the pristine books he'd been signing for people who simply collected them.

I would really like to see this re-released for Kindle, simply for the portability. ( )
  MikeHungerford | Aug 28, 2019 |
One of my favorite Powers books, and that's saying something, this ranks up there with THE ANUBIS GATES and LAST CALL in the pantheon of greatness.

Again, it's a simple enough idea -- what if the muses of the great Romantic poets were actual supernatural beings, a kind of psychic vampire? From that Powers imagination takes flight and we get Nephilim, Byron, Shelley, Keats and all manner of innocent bystanders pulled under the influence of ancient creatures, Lamia, trying to find a foothold again in the world.

As ever with Powers the language is lyrical, the imagery is staggeringly well conceived and the characters meticulously drawn. There are majestic supernatural set pieces high in the Alps and in the narrow canals and palaces of Venice, musings on the nature of reality, and tying it all together a fractured love story that starts, and ends, in an English pub garden.

It's such a beautifully put together novel. I'm in envy of the man's talent. ( )
1 vote williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
I have tried twice to finish this book and it eludes me. It is so convoluted, dense and gothic that I am calling it quits at page 179. Thanks goodness, no more tortuous commutes trying to make sense of this story. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
This was good, but it kind of meandered and was confusing at times. The story is told over a long period of time, with sometimes years between the "action", but it's still the same struggle and the same characters. The writing was excellent, I just wish the story would have been a little more straightforward. ( )
  ragwaine | Jan 7, 2018 |

Powers, Timprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blaylock, James P.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gurney, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solé, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...yet thought must see
That eve of time when man no longer yearns,
Grown deaf before Life's Sphinx, whose lips are barred;
When from the spaces of Eternity,
Silence, a rigorous Medusa, turns
On the lost world the stress of her regard.
- Clark Ashton Smith, Sphinx and Medusa
For Dean and Gerda Koontz,
for thirty years of
cheerful, hospitable and tolerant friendship
And with thanks to
Kate Powers and Serena Powers and
Joe Stefko and Brian M. Thomsen and Tom Whitmore
And to Paul Mohney, for that conversation, many years ago
over beers at the Tinder Box, about Percy Shelley
Until the squall struck, Lake Leman was so still that the two men talking in the bow of the open sailboat could safely set their wine glasses on the thwarts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,525,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible