The Princess Bride Deluxe Edition HC: S.…

The Princess Bride Deluxe Edition HC: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of… (original 1973; edition 2017)

by William Goldman (Author)

21,792491126 (4.27)3 / 672
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts.
Member:bkwrmcoll
Title:The Princess Bride Deluxe Edition HC: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure
Authors:William Goldman (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2017), Edition: Deluxe ed., 448 pages

Work Information

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (7)

English (482)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (490)
I always (almost) like the book better than the movie. Not in this case. The movie is 5 stars. Rob Reiner’s reading was good but it seemed he was just trying to capture the voices of the actors from the movie.

Kudos to whoever casted the actors for the movie. Each was cast perfectly.

And to find so much of the dialogue in the movie lifted verbatim from the book…well, maybe a 4 1/2 star rating for the book. ( )
  jimgosailing | Nov 18, 2021 |
Did you think that the best parts of the Princess Bride movie were the interludes involving Peter Falk and Fred Savage? If so, you'll love the book. For the rest of us, this book's extended ramblings by Goldman might not be greatly appreciated.

It is nice to have the best lines of the Princess Bride movie preserved in print, but they're not all here. Most of them are. But, unfortunately, not: "Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons!" ( )
  cpg | Nov 5, 2021 |
I really enjoyed picking up this book. I originally did not realize that the metafictional aspects present in the movie actually came from the book. I look forward to reading other works of metafiction. Also, this book has given even more support to my hypothesis that watching the movie before reading the book enhances the experience if they're both good (and not too much is lost in translation). See Fight Club and Blade Runner for other examples. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
I had listened to the book once before as an audio book, and finally had the chance to read it. Of course, I love Goldman's style (with the constant interruptions), where others might find it irritating. It's a somewhat zany way of writing, similar to Carl Hiassen, Bill Boyd, Janet Evanovich. I wished he'd left off the "Buttercups Baby" section, though...it just seems very fragmented and doesn't lead anywhere. Intentionally, of course, but I still found it tedious. However, the main story is great. ( )
  Jeff.Rosendahl | Sep 21, 2021 |
4.5 stars
A fun adventure with an interesting backstory and unique characters, The Princess Bride is the perfect book for people who love a good adventure story full of swordfights, romance, friendship, villains, twists and turns.
I loved Goldman's comments throughout the book and I found Buttercup's Baby just as good as the main story. The only thing I really wish could have been sorted is the literal cliff-hanging the book ends with, but...

_Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

4 1908

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,066,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible