Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns…

Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer… (original 1973; edition 2008)

by William Goldman, Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)

14,544327138 (4.28)1 / 515
Member:Icky
Title:Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer Liebe und edlen Abenteuern. Die Ausgabe der "spannenden Teile". Gekürzte und bearbeitet von William Goldmann
Authors:William Goldman
Other authors:Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)
Info:Klett-Cotta (2008), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 426 pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414, ChiennePhantome)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Pixelinchen)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Suzzett)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both full of romance and adventure, and both fantastically written. Who doesn't love a daring swashbuckler?
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    The Rover by Mel Odom (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both are fun fantasy adventures that leave you wanting more!
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)
1970s (11)

English (322)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (327)
Book of the film! ( )
  LindaLiu | Feb 22, 2015 |
In this book, William Goldman tells us that he is abridging the tale of The Princess Bride, originally written by S. Morgenstern. The original tale of love and adventure is then abridged (with comments added in by Goldman).

I really enjoyed this, in particular the tale of The Princess Bride. The comments/interjections, though, I thought were amusing, as well. And there is plenty of humour in the story.

The intro and the other "extras" (including a final “chapter” that is the start of an abridgement of the sequel, Buttercup's Baby) by Goldman are made to sound true, but I kept questioning it. I kept getting a bit confused and had to finally look it up on wikipedia! The interjections he adds into the "abridgement" reminded me of the grandpa reading to a little Fred Savage in the movie, as well. However, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of it, overall. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 11, 2015 |
As a fan but not a super fan of the movie, I finally read the book that is very close to the movie account. Fortunately, the movie makers cut out all the whining fourth wall breaking of the author. Vladimir Nabokov has done the editor and author game at a much higher level. Here I just wanted the author to return to the bizarre main story that lives mostly due to its great characters. Perfect for the screen. ( )
  jcbrunner | Jan 31, 2015 |
I'm almost a bit ashamed to admit that this is my first time reading this book. No, I haven't watched the movie either, even though I do own it. Being that I was new, the first 10% of my kindle copy kind of threw me off track since well it was about the author and about the book, but wasn't the story. I do find the tale woven into the beginning to be an interesting one. Not the excitement you'd expect, then again I don't suppose it was supposed to be. It was pretty funny though.

As to the actual story, It was kind of typical. I think the most interesting parts of the entire story were the cut-ins from the author in all honestly. I haven't figured out how they made this into a movie unless they made some drastic changes to improve it. The book itself leaves so many pieces unattended to it makes it a bit hard to follow. Some of the chapters are dreadfully long and don't explain anything in between the paragraphs of actual story (the parts that aren't the author cut-ins). It's rare that a story bored me and this one did terribly.

It's not often that I come across a book that disappoints me, especially when for years I've heard nothing about how amazing this book is. I found Buttercup to be a bit an airhead that no one should have wasted their time on, the Prince was your typical villain as was his count. The most colorful character was Inigo. As to Westly, after the pirate incident he's not even remotely close to being the same character and while he did what every hero in every book does, it was flat. It felt like he was more obligated to it then for any actual love he had for Buttercup.

All in all, I'm honestly praying the movie (which I've withheld from watching until I read the book) is better than the book, but given how the movies are almost never as good as the book, I don't hold my breath.

I give this book 2 of 5 paws. ( )
  S.CuAnam_Policar | Jan 21, 2015 |
I actually read this the first time in 1975. I was in the army and one of my friends insisted I read this. I love this book now as I did then. the story telling is so captivating - tongue in cheek. Appropriate. ( )
  PallanDavid | Jan 16, 2015 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:46 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

5 2013

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,765,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible