Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns…

Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer… (original 1973; edition 2008)

by William Goldman, Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)

16,033379111 (4.28)3 / 578
Member:Icky
Title:Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer Liebe und edlen Abenteuern. Die Ausgabe der "spannenden Teile". Gekürzte und bearbeitet von William Goldmann
Authors:William Goldman
Other authors:Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)
Info:Klett-Cotta (2008), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 426 pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (10)

English (373)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (379)
The story is interesting, the villains are not bad either, Inigo Montoya and Fizzik are awesome and they get 5 stars, Westley is great. However, Buttercup is none of those things! She gets 0 points. The last twenty percent of the book was not enough to redeem her in my eyes. I reluctantly admit I might be too harsh since she is probably there to cause such reaction after all.

And here's an even shorter version of the book (spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3rfm5oKwo ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Listened to an audio abridgment during a family car trip. So, an abridgment of "an abridgment", a delicious irony. And still there were little parts new to me: the underground zoo and Fezzik & Inigo's adventures enroute to save Westley, for one. The rhyming had a bigger role, and the memorable scene on the boat from the film is not here, instead there are several other episodes. I wonder both what the unabridged Goldman novel is like, and whether the sequel (Buttercup's Baby) measures up.

Given this production is narrated by Rob Reiner, the interpretation does not deviate much from that presented in the film. I still wonder whether the tone or other aspects of the novel are markedly distinct from Reiner's film, in the way Van Dyke's The Thin Man put his distinct imprint on Hammett's story.

It's a summer for reading books connected to well-loved films: Blade Runner, The Name of the Rose, now this one. In each case, both film and novel remain singular achievements. ( )
  elenchus | Aug 10, 2016 |
Did no one pick up on the irony of this being an abridgement?

I am philosophically opposed to abridgements, but I couldn't resist the deep desire to hear Rob Reiner reading The Princess Bride. As a narrator, he makes a great director – but it was still a lot of fun. ( )
1 vote Stewartry | Jul 26, 2016 |
I loved the film. Couldn't finish the book because of the author - the inserts were intolerable. I don't really care if it is a fictional personae; it made the book unpleasant. ( )
  eefa | Jul 26, 2016 |
Bigger-than-life characters and high adventures abound in this rollicking good read!I thoroughly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek repartee between the characters - predictable as it was at times. Perhaps the best part for me was the 'abridgement notes' inserted by Goldman. At turns funny, insightful, sarcastic, and moving, they served to not only enhance the meta-story but also added a dimension all their own. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 15, 2016 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

Current discussions

Joe's Book Cafe 2016 Door 18 in 75 Books Challenge for 2016

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible