Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns…

Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer… (original 1973; edition 2008)

by William Goldman, Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)

16,365395107 (4.28)3 / 585
Member:Icky
Title:Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer Liebe und edlen Abenteuern. Die Ausgabe der "spannenden Teile". Gekürzte und bearbeitet von William Goldmann
Authors:William Goldman
Other authors:Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)
Info:Klett-Cotta (2008), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 426 pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (10)

English (388)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (394)
I love "The Princess Bride", the movie! Rob Reiner, loves The Princess Bride. To bad, Rob Reiner decided to narrate the book. He does not use his talent to create the characters through voice as so many celebrities do. I found it boring to listen to which surprised me! If I didn't know the movie so well, I would have turned off story and returned it to the library. The movie ended the story and the original book left what happens to the imagination. Watch the movie. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Jan 13, 2017 |
Because it's so popular I expected to like this more than I did. I did appreciate the creativity of how this was all framed and chuckled at the editorial comments. I also learned a lot from the way the father "blurbs" S. Morgenstern's book. ( )
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |
Read aloud to the boys in the car. My wife considers the author to be a right bastard based on his self-portrayal in the introduction and asides. One of the few instances where the movie may be superior to the book. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I don’t get it. There seems to be a cult surrounding the Princess Bride. I enjoyed the book, but clearly not as much as many other have. I loved the humor, especially how his father introduced him to the book, and how he introduced his son to the book. There’s no doubt that Goldman can weave a swashbuckling humorous story. ( )
  brangwinn | Jan 9, 2017 |
Honestly, this is the one time where I'd say the movie was FAR better than the book. The book sarcastically is a "retelling" of an older story. This convolutes the story heavily and makes it difficult to focus. ( )
  JackDayHova | Dec 31, 2016 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,663,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible