Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns…

Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer… (original 1973; edition 2008)

by William Goldman, Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)

16,620401106 (4.28)3 / 594
Member:Icky
Title:Die Brautprinzessin: S. Morgensterns klassische Erzählung von wahrer Liebe und edlen Abenteuern. Die Ausgabe der "spannenden Teile". Gekürzte und bearbeitet von William Goldmann
Authors:William Goldman
Other authors:Kai Schwarzkopf (Illustrator), Wolfgang Krege (Übersetzer)
Info:Klett-Cotta (2008), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 426 pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

Recently added bybdmcc, private library, Ninek, sumpter-girls, Ioue, ajw105, uhnikki, Wilwarin, nzvicki
1970s (10)

English (395)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (401)
The story is interesting, the villains are not bad either, Inigo Montoya and Fizzik are awesome and they get 5 stars, Westley is great. However, Buttercup is none of those things! She gets 0 points. The last twenty percent of the book was not enough to redeem her in my eyes. I reluctantly admit I might be too harsh since she is probably there to cause such reaction after all.

And here's an even shorter version of the book (spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3rfm5oKwo ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Iconic romance, adventure of the 1980’s, I think I liked the book more than the film. A favorite with my family.
127 ( )
  Bettesbooks | Apr 21, 2017 |
It is practically CRIMINAL that someone who loves the movie as much as I do is just now getting around to reading the book (in Florin, it probably IS a crime), but here we are. This one has somehow managed to remain on my to-read pile for far, far too long. I think part of me was fearful that reading the book would dull my love for the film, since that has in fact happened with others in the past.

Fortunately, William Goldman knows exactly what he is doing. He included just the right parts of the story, in my opinion, though I would like to read the full text some day. Morgenstern's dealings with Florin history sound fascinating and like a fun romp for someone like me. It did take me a while to get comfortable with Goldman's interruptions, as they are much more frequent than the Fred Savage/Peter Falk scenes, but once you get into the rhythm, they become a welcome addition that explains why he trimmed some of Morgenstern's fat.

Also in this version is the first chapter of the sequel! I never knew such a thing existed, and I was so worried to even try reading it! But now that I have... I NEED MORE!! Something tells me that between Goldman's age and his previous dealings with the Morgenstern estate, this is all we'll ever get, but it's nice to think that we might get more of little Waverly's life with mom and dad and her ever-present "Shade." Maybe we'll just have to wait for Stephen King to get around to it and finally satisfy those Florinese cousins of his. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 20, 2017 |
The Princess Bride is yet another one of those classic books that “everybody” has read but that I have just now read for the first time. I don’t think I’ve seen the movie either, although it’s possible I saw it when I was very young and just don’t remember it. A few of the lines in the book were familiar, but that may just be because I’ve heard people quote from the movie over the years.

I really enjoyed this although I think, maybe a little oddly, I enjoyed the framing story the best. I did enjoy the main story, and it held my interest, but its satire gave it a tendency to cross the line into ridiculousness. In many ways it was like reading Pratchett’s Discworld books: entertaining and clever, but not usually the kind of story that I would get completely wrapped up in.

The framing story, on the other hand, felt a little more serious, if less fantastical, and added a couple layers on top of the main story. It was those layers that I particularly enjoyed. I have a little more to say about that, but I’m going to put it in spoiler tags. If there’s anybody else in the world who knows as little about the story as I did, I don’t want to rob them of the fun I had. :)

When I first started reading the book, I was worried that I’d somehow gotten the wrong book and was reading an actual abridgement. I was reading in my Kindle, so I touched the name of Morgenstern on my screen and was immediately informed that he was a fictional author created by Goldman. So that undoubtedly saved me some frustration in trying to find the “real” book. :) After that, I was completely absorbed by trying to figure out which parts of the framing story were real and which parts were fake. I laughed several times for no other reason than because I was so confused about what (if anything) was real and what wasn’t. Then, on top of that, there’s the implication that the main story itself was based on true events and places. I just loved that whole aspect of it, the layer upon layer of fiction made to appear real and written about so seriously that I started to wonder if parts of it were real after all. Google helped clear up the last of my confusion after I finished reading the book. Assuming the info I found on Google was real, of course, and not a cleverly planted framing story for the framing story! ;)

For anybody who does read this for the first time, I have some pieces of advice:
1. If you start the book and think you’re reading the wrong book, don’t worry, you’re not.

2. If possible, get a more recent edition that includes the 25th and 30th anniversary introductions. I thought they were worth reading, and I think one or both editions may have added some material at the end also.

3. But do not, under any circumstances, read those 25th and 30th anniversary introductions before you read the main book. Especially not the 30th. It’s full of spoilers, and I think it would be harder to appreciate it without having the knowledge gained while reading the book. In particular, it answers a question you won’t know you have until you get to the end of the book, by which time you may have forgotten you were given the answer because it didn’t mean anything to you when you read it. Fortunately, past experience has taught me to avoid reading introductions for classic books until after I’ve read the book itself. They so often assume the reader already knows the story.

I’m normally reluctant to spend time watching movies, but I think I’ll watch this movie, probably tonight. It helps that I’m on vacation this coming week, so I can surely manage to spare the time for one movie. I always hear such great things about this one. ( )
  YouKneeK | Apr 15, 2017 |
So many feels this week, be still my heart!

Let me first give you all a little backstory. Growing up a child of the 80's, The Princess Bride has always been, hands down, my most favorite movie of all time. I can quote the entire movie line by line (and to the annoyance of those who watch the movie with me, I do so...frequently). Westley was one of my first ever fictional crushes (a close second was Macgyver....80's kid remember?). My most shinning parenting win was when my then five year was told to brush his teeth and he promptly head into the bathroom proclaiming, "Asssssss yooooooou wiiiiiiiish".

Now for an embarrassing truth.

I had absolutely no idea that this was originally a book (insert gasp here).

The self proclaimed booknerd who devours everything she can get her hands on HAD NO CLUE HER FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME WAS A BOOK?! It's shameful I know.

This year for Christmas, my husband gifted me with a copy of the 30th edition.

"It's a book?!" I gasped clutching my new treasure to my chest

"It is" he replied with a grin (he knew he won Christmas this year for sure).

So here I am, learning all sorts of new things about one of my most cherished childhood stories.

For those of you who have been living under a rock in recent history (or like me who only knew of the movie version). The Princess Bride written by William Goldman and published in 1973, later still to be written into a screen play, giving us the 1982 classic of my childhood.
Buttercup is a beautiful farm girl who falls in love with the quiet farm hand Westley who leaves said farm to strike out on his own in search of riches in order to return home again and marry his beloved, not as a poor farm boy, but as a made man. Thought dead at the hands of pirates, a broken hearted Buttercup acquiesces to a marriage with Prince Humperdinck (booooo) but not long before the wedding is kidnapped by a clever Sicilian, a Master Spaniard swordsman, and a fiercely strong giant. Trailed by a mask man in all black, the gang of three kidnappers is slowly bested by the man in black who ultimately reveals his true identity to Buttercup. True love, adventure, loss, magic and revenge weave a tale that is truly unforgettable.

For fans of the movie who have not read the book, please....do it now. It was so exciting to read my favorite one liners from the movie in novel form. "My name in Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." Perhaps even better than that, was reading all the new (to me) passages from the book which were not represented in the movie. Reading snippets of back story on Fezzik and Inigo, the Zoo of Death, and the torture of Westley at the hands of the Count. And can we talk about the illustrations for a second? This edition was illustrated, beautifully so, by Michael Manomivibul. They added just another layer of perfect whimsy to an already perfect story.

But wait! There's more!

THE STORY DOESN'T END THERE

There is a sequel in the works entitled, Buttercups Baby, with Goldman joking it may be ready by the 50th anniversary of The Princes Bride (sorry dude, I can't wait that long!). While initially hesitant about treading into new territory with my favorite characters, after reading the excerpt at the end of the 30th edition, I have to say..... I am foaming at the mouth to finish it. (As long as no one dies, my soul couldn't take such torture!)

So I will leave you with this bookworms. I apologize for such a nostalgic review this week but I feel like a kid again, my favorite characters are alive and well in a novel with the promise (hope?) of more to come in the future. If you are a fan of the movie and haven't read the book- do it. If you have never heard of either, read the book and watch the movie. You can come back to thank me later. ( )
3 vote courtneygiraldo | Apr 3, 2017 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible