The Princess Bride (Ballantine Reader's…

The Princess Bride (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (original 1973; edition 2003)

by William Goldman

20,429469124 (4.27)3 / 657
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts.
Member:JetSilver
Title:The Princess Bride (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Ballantine Books (2003), Edition: 30 Anv, Paperback, 429 pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (6)

English (460)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (467)
Even better than the film! Although the film is magnificent, The Princess Bride-as-book is inimitably awesome. Perhaps that's just because I love authorial asides. ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
A true classic tale and is still beloved for years to come.
The book go in a lot more detail on charters then the movie. Both fit perfectly together and are wonderful. I finally read one of the books my mom likes. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
A true classic tale and is still beloved for years to come.
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
So: before you ask me: "Why do you read books you don't like?" People I know have read many of the same books I do & given them good reviews, so I am ever hopeful & tricked into reading books I end up disliking"

First not one, but TWO Introductions adding up to 70+ pages of "all about me & my experience with this book" Right off the bat Tedious.

A pretend author writing a book of a fairy tale: Actually Goldman pretending to be someone else writing this story....

The language of the characters' dialog, was primary level, as if a child was speaking/writing.

The characters, I didn't like them, they bored me, were not very well developed, nor were they particularly nice people albeit interesting ...

Too many trite interjections by William Goldman as himself into the writing of the (fake) author Morgenstern. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Sep 6, 2020 |
I put this on my reading list as a 'funny book', but I didn't find it funny at all! Maybe the best jokes were already spoiled because they are classics now, but Goldman's narrative trick annoyed me to no end. Pretending someone else wrote your book and then constantly writing meta about what really is your own work... Let's just say that's not my cup of tea.
Of course, Westley and Inigo are the characters that make this story worth its while, but they have been executed wonderfully in the movie. I wholeheartedly recommend the movie over the book for this one! ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

Goldman, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible