The Little Duck by Judy Dunn

The Little Duck (edition 1976)

by Judy Dunn

Member:WeeWatkins
Title:The Little Duck
Authors:Judy Dunn
Info:Random House (1976), Paperback

The Little Duck by Judy Dunn

This book manages to teach your child a little about ducks and also has a bit of character development in it. The story is illustrated with photographs of the little duck, named Henry. (awww)Henry is found as an egg and brought home by a boy. You get to see Henry pop out of the egg and see what he eats and what he does with his first swim. Henry follows the boy around the farm and sits in grandpas lap and reads the paper. Hes getting bigger all the time. Henry gets lonely after the boy goes back to school....
  heatherhoover | Aug 13, 2015 |
There are the classics that you know why they're classics, be it clever marketing, perfect grasp of the audience, sheer literary and artistic merit, etc. Then there are the books you remember from your childhood; they may be utterly weird and completely outdated, but they are a part of you. Then there are the books that fall somewhere in between. The ones that you loved as a child, that have some outdated aspects to them, but somehow hang on, year after year after year.

Phoebe and Judy Dunn's photographed stories of farm animals fall into this last category. When I first realized they were still in print, I was thrilled and decided to treat myself (and my library) to a collection. To my delighted surprise, it became one of our most popular titles.

My personal copies from my childhood have long disappeared, but I found the originals were easy to replace and just as lovable as ever. In The Little Rabbit, Sarah finds a white baby bunny in her Easter basket. Sarah is an adorable girl with freckles and a gap-toothed grin, just as sweet as her fluffy new pet, Buttercup. The simple story talks about Buttercup growing up and their little adventures, including information on pet care in a natural and interesting way. Buttercup meets Sarah's friends, gets lost, and goes on picnics. Eventually, she gets big enough to have babies of her own (no male bunny is pictured or mentioned though) and she has seven babies who get into lots of trouble! Finally, it's just Sarah and Buttercup again, the way they like it.

The Little Lamb features Emmy, a pig-tailed little girl in sturdy jeans and sweater, who adopts an orphaned lamb, Timothy. He grows fast as she cares for him and introduces him to other animals and places on the farm. But eventually Timothy gets too big - and causes too much trouble - and goes back to the farm, where he happily joins in with the other half-grown lambs.

The Little Duck, Henry, is found by an unnamed boy as an egg by the pond. This book follows most closely the duck's life cycle from hatching to changing from a fluffy chick to a beautiful white duck. Eventually, he wants more than his little blue pool and finds his way back to the pond and a beautiful girl duck.

Verdict: There are plenty of farm animal books out there, but these photographs just seem to really strike a chord with parents and children alike. I recommend taking a look to see what's currently in print and trying out a few, be they paperback, prebound, or board books.

These are reprinted so constantly that I'm not going to list a specific ISBN. Most of them are still in print, either in paperback or prebound, or are soon to be republished as board books. They're the books that just keep going! Just search for Judy and Phoebe Dunn. The copies pictured are the latest paperback versions in print, but I personally own older paperbacks.
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 23, 2014 |
The little duck explains the life of a duck in a cute picture book.
Source: Pierce College Library
  Kaymae | Apr 12, 2013 |
This is one of my favorite information books. It teaches children about the life of a duck from when the egg is created all the way through to it's life as an adult. This book is appropriate for all ages because there are so many photos you can also use it as a picture book.
  hnebeker | Dec 18, 2009 |

Judy Dunnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunn, PhoebePhotographermain authorall editionsconfirmed
One morning in early spring a little boy was fishing in the pond near his farm.

Full-color photographs. Humorous factual account of a year in a duck's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

Easy-to-read text and photographs follow the growth of a duck from incubation to adulthood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible