Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S.…

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold (original 1956; edition 1980)

by C.S. Lewis

6,255128949 (4.24)2 / 221
Member:PeninahPearl
Title:Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:Harvest Books (1980), Paperback, 324 pages

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C. S. Lewis (1956)

Phantastes and Lilith, two novels by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire by Julius Lester (raizel)
    raizel: A retelling of the Psyche and Cupid myth; Lester's version is for a younger (teen
    The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (AnnaClaire)
    AnnaClaire: A different author retelling a different myth, but they still seem to fit together nicely.
    Mythology by Edith Hamilton (sibyllacumaea)
    Circe by Madeline Miller (bjappleg8)
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Both are stories of strong, motherless women with dysfunctional families who play a part in a mythical tale

English (126)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
On the difficulty of being a woman ( )
  mairesmith | Nov 9, 2018 |
This is the story of Cupid and Psyche, told from the viewpoint of Psyche's sister, one of the villains. Every so often on rec.arts.sf.written, someone complains that Lewis didn't like women, didn't understand women, couldn't write women, and generally there's an enthusiastic chorus of agreement. They stopped reading Lewis's work too early in his career; this is a beautifully complex and sympathetic portrayal.
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Overall I enjoy [a:C.S. Lewis|1069006|C.S. Lewis|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1367519078p2/1069006.jpg]' writing, in spite of how overtly religious it very often is. I enjoy the way that he crafts worlds, the attention he pays to varying characters and their motivation. All in all I find his worldview to be a fascinating one, the decisions he makes as an author interesting. That he is a classic author, one well worth reading, should go without saying. Everyone gets their repute for a reason, and it behooves people to read those that others hold in such high esteem.

[b:Till We Have Faces|17343|Till We Have Faces|C.S. Lewis|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381692105s/17343.jpg|2072983] was recommended to me, what feels like ages ago, but in reality was probably only half a decade or more ago. The person who recommended it to me, an old teacher, is someone to this day I still hold in high esteem. She was right to recommend it to me, and I regret not reading it sooner. I'd like to get more on track with my reading...

This book was fascinating, an interesting attempt to make the myth of Psyche and Cupid more understandable, more believable. I think that [b:C.S. Lewis] succeeded in explaining the motivations of different characters, make the story make more sense and interpret it well in a more modern way. I think his characters were compelling, his idea of the problem of faith fascinating.

I can't give the book higher accolades than that because I need to think on the ending, need to ponder over it a while and let it sit with me. Interesting? Yes. Is it possible to overcome the parts of us we'd rather pretend don't exist? Maybe.

All in all, well worth reading and discussing. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Reinterpretazione del mito di Amore e Psiche ( )
  jcumani | May 10, 2018 |
A retelling of the myth of Psyche and Cupid. I wasn't too familiar with this myth, which Lewis took a lot of liberties with. It's told from the point of view of Psyche's sister Orual, who is trying to vindicate her actions before the Gods. Our book group read this book and a lot of the ladies really struggled with it. I did at times, though I didn't find it too terribly hard to follow. The story itself was pretty straightforward but the characters seemed flat and I didn't really like the main character or feel much sympathy for her. She was trying to explain why the pain of her childhood caused her to act out against those closest to her. I really felt like she just needed a therapist to straighten her out or at least a good self help book. Instead she rails against the gods and then at last gets to appear before them in sort of a court like setting. Then she learns a lot about how wrong some of her thinking was, but all is forgiven because of the goodness of her sister. It did bring up some good discussion as we tried to figure out the motivations of the characters and just what Lewis was trying to convey in this book. ( )
  debs4jc | Mar 30, 2018 |

Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, AndersCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Love is too young to know what conscience is"
--Shakespeare
To Joy Davidman
Joy Davidman
I am old now and have not much to fear from the anger of gods.
(Food for the gods must always be found somehow, even when the land starves.)
Now mark yet again the cruelty of the gods. There is no escape from them into sleep or madness, for they can pursue you into them with dreams. Indeed you are then most at their mercy. The nearest thing we have to a defence against them (but there is no real defence) is to be very wide awake and sober and hard at work, to hear no music, never to look at earth or sky, and (above all) to love no one.
Weakness, and work, are two comforts the gods have not taken from us.
To love, and to lose what we love, are equally things appointed for our nature. If we cannot bear the second well, that evil is ours.
The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander for ever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156904365, Paperback)

At once more human and more mythic than his Perelandra trilogy, Lewis's short novel of love, faith, and transformation (both good and ill) offers the reader much food for thought in a compact, impressively rich story. Less heavy-handedly Christian-allegorical than Narnia, Till We Have Faces gives us characters who remind us of people we know facing choices and difficulties we recognize. This deceptively simple book takes on new depth with each rereading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

From the Publisher: This tale of two princesses-one beautiful and one unattractive-and of the struggle between sacred and profane love is Lewis's reworking of the myth of Cupid and Psyche and one of his most enduring works.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,799,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible