Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health,…

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Richard H. Thaler, Cass R. Sunstein

Thaler and Sunstein offer a groundbreaking discussion of how to apply the science of choice to nudge people toward decisions that can improve their lives without restricting their freedom of choice.
Member:dolphus.pereira
Title:Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
Authors:Richard H. Thaler
Other authors:Cass R. Sunstein
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2009), Edition: Updated, Paperback, 320 pages

Work Information

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler (2008)

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (espertus)
    Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (infiniteletters)
    Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (lewbs)
    Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink (Cecilturtle)
    Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say by Douglas Rushkoff (elenchus)
    elenchus: Two sides of the same coin: Rushkoff's Coercion examines how influence or manipulation is to the detriment of the individual's self interest, precisely in order to benefit someone else (usually selling something); Thaler's Nudge as a deliberate effort to influence an individual in the direction of their own self interest, when typical behavior is found to be against their own interests (such as unhealthy eating habits or overspending).… (more)
    De Menselijke Beslisser: Over De Psychologie Van Keuze En Gedrag (WRR Verkenningen) (Dutch Edition) by W.L. Tiemeijer (peter_vandenbrande)

English (51)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (55)
Digital audiobook read by Lloyd James.

Thaler and Sunstein are professors specializing in Behavioral Economics. This work explores the ways in which decision options are presented to achieve the result the designer hopes for … i.e. the nudges.

I found much of this very interesting and kept thinking of incidents in recent years that pointed out how such nudges were beneficial. Certainly, my parents nudged my saving habits, even though they never studied economics. But not all nudges are beneficial. The book also made me aware of the nudges that I need to be mindful of. (Extended warranties? Uh, no.)

I had to laugh when reading the updated section at the end, and they reported that the single example that got the most attention was the fly in the urinals at Schiphol airport! I’ve been thinking hard about how I might replicate their results to nudge my husband to put the dirty dishes IN the dishwasher vs just on the counter right above the dishwasher.

The digital audiobook I listened to most was read by Lloyd James. He does a fine job, but much of the material is rather dry, and of course, the listener misses the graphs and illustrations. My local library’s CD version was narrated by Sean Pratt. A fellow book club member listened to a version narrated by Richard Thaler. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 17, 2021 |
how presentation can affect choices and advocating more choice engineering
  ritaer | Aug 26, 2021 |
Wow! This book starts off really interestingly; it details the way our minds work and the techniques for getting people to listen to your message. All worth reading and I took several pages of notes to reconsider at my leisure.

Then, we hit part two: a party political broadcast on behalf of the neoliberal parties of the world. Oh well, I'll skip that bit and get on to the climate section. As a green, this will recapture my interest...

The text is that money talks. Raise a few taxes, but not too much. The poor will be scared off from fossil fuel use and the rich? Why, they'll pay for ignoring the regulations and the poor are so stupid that they'll take a little extra money and suffer in silence.

Thanks boys, don't call us, we'll call you - all sorts of names! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Feb 10, 2021 |
Came to get some insights on how to apply nudges to my product management work.
Instead heard how to fix the American society (not used to sharing/caring at a large government scale). Lots and lots of US centered form filling, government policy details.
Good points are:
- raises awareness on the fact that nudges matter
- authors does not put himself too much at the center of the book like other non-fictions these days (thought the use of "we" instead of "I" creates a weird pattern of wondering who he is talking about sometimes)
  jbrieu | Nov 6, 2020 |
Not sure why I read this... Not the kind of thing I like at all. But it does kinda show how to be a sleaze ball and try to push people into doing what you want. That's yucky to me but I suppose if that is your thing this is a good book.

Audiobook note :good narrator. ( )
  marshapetry | Oct 16, 2020 |
But regardless of whether Thaler and Sunstein’s ideas are ideologically neutral, most of them are the essence of common sense.

Although Nudge has no positive redeeming qualities, there is some value in what it reveals about contemporary politics. Thaler and Sunstein have unwittingly exposed an increasingly popular approach to whittling away freedom in America.

Richard H. Thalerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sunstein, Cass R.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Bausum, ChristophTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pratt, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For France, who makes everything in life better, even this book. - RHT
For Ellyn, who knows when to nudge her father. - CRS
A friend of ours, Carolyn, is the director of food services for a large city school system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,482,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible