Children of the Red King #7: Charlie Bone…

Children of the Red King #7: Charlie Bone and the Shadow (edition 2008)

by Jenny Nimmo (Author)

Magically-gifted Charlie Bone, accompanied by his best friend's dog, Runner Bean, comes to the rescue when the enchanter Count Harken takes revenge on the Red King's heirs by kidnapping and imprisoning Charlie's ancestors in the dark, forbidding land of Badlock.
Member:Craftylily
Title:Children of the Red King #7: Charlie Bone and the Shadow
Authors:Jenny Nimmo (Author)
Info:Orchard Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, 464 pages

Work Information

Charlie Bone and the Shadow by Jenny Nimmo

discs are currently missing ( )
  Gmomaj | Feb 12, 2021 |
I feel like I could copy and paste one of my reviews from any of the last several books in the series and it would still detail how I feel about this particular book completely. Despite this being the seventh book in the series, the writing and characterization have failed to develop. I'm not saying that its horrible or the worst series I've ever read or anything, but the issues that I do have with it haven't improved in the slightest. I believe this particular book actually may have even gone on to highlight some of the main issues I have with the book in further detail... mainly characterization.

However, I do feel like I should note some of the book's good qualities. I really enjoyed the new development of picture traveling and meeting the new characters inside. I find certain details described about the universe inside the painting fascinating and I hope the final book will return to touch base on it further. I also really loved "the giant." I actually don't know why, but I found him the most authentic character thus far.

Overall, I would give this book 2.75 stars. While I keep waiting for this series to blow me away, I keep getting let down. Hopefully the last book will do something that will leave a memorable impression on me.
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Is this series going anywhere? My son highly recommends it, but so far it's doing nothing for me.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
i did not like the fact that a child gets abducted and there seems to be nothing that can be done.... Billy seems to be the poor kid out in just about every book, and its getting to feel rather bullyish to me. I've started book 8 now and I'm hoping that it ends on a good note. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
You feel your body being sucked into a whole new world and your surroundings changes. Charlie Bone has the powers to travel into paintings. In the fantasy book, Charlie Bone and the Shadow by Jenny Nimmo, Charlie gets sucked into a painting where bad things were happening. Charlie was able to escape with the help from his ancestor's wand. Charlie's friend and his friend's dog also got sucked into the painting, but because they didn't have the wand they couldn't get back out. Meanwhile, other magical things are happening and creatures are escaping from paintings. Charlie's town is slowly being deserted because people are worried about the magical creatures. Charlie doesn't know whether or not he will be able to stop the magical beings.

I would recommend this book for middle school students who like Harry Potter. This book has the same great plot that Harry Potter does, yet it is totally different. When the author described the setting of the story I felt like I was with Charlie seeing what he was seeing, smelling what he was smelling, and feeling what he was feeling. This series is a great fantasy series. ( )
  chgrbr14 | Oct 12, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

Published in the US as "Charlie Bone and the Shadow". Published in the UK as "Charlie Bone and the Shadow of Badlock".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,173,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible