Prime Witness (Paul Madriani Novels Book 2)…

Prime Witness (Paul Madriani Novels Book 2) (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Steve Martini (Author)

Series: Paul Madriani (2)

519633,597 (3.53)1
In the space of five days the college town of Davenport is rocked by four brutal murders: two couples - students - their bodies found tied and staked out on the banks of Putah Creek. Then two more bodies are discovered. This time the victims are Abbott Scofield, a distinguished member of the university faculty, and his former wife Karen. The police suspect Andre Iganovich, a Russian immigrant, but Paul Madriani thinks there is more to the case than meets the eye. Forensic reports on the physical evidence suggest lingering questions about the Russian's involvement in the Scofield killings, and Paul becomes increasingly convinced that the second murders are the product of a copy-cat killer - a cold and calculating murderer who has taken the lives of the Scofields for reasons that Paul is determined to uncover...… (more)
Member:Linda_Trahan
Title:Prime Witness (Paul Madriani Novels Book 2)
Authors:Steve Martini (Author)
Info:Berkley (1994), 516 pages

Prime Witness by Steve Martini (1993)

I got about 20% in on this one, & I'm done.
Nothing to hold my interest - way too formulaic.
And life is too short to read bad books or drink bad wine. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Another good book by Martini. Not as good as Undue Influence, but still strong plot and characterization. The female character of Lenore is very strong - a 20th century warrior goddess (which means most men would call her a bitch). The ending is particularly riveting and totally took me by surprise. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I first got interested in Steve Martini after watching The Judge, an interesting movie that had some nice courtroom scenes for which I am always a sucker. I had already purchased Prime Witness in audio so decided to make it my chores listening. I enjoyed it. Several characters pop up who were in The Judge. This one is unusual int hat Paul Modriani, Martini's protagonist plays the role of district attorney, rather against his will and he is thrown into the middle of a case that pits him against an old antagonist. No point repeating the plot, that's available everywhere.

Some reviewers have downgraded this book because of the level of detail supplied in the investigation. That's the kind of stuff I like. I especially enjoyed the courtroom and lawyerly battles using obscure features of the law in an attempt to gain the upper hand in the battle to gain the advantage.

One negative, I thought, was the side plot that involved threats against Modriani's wife. I thought that was unnecessary and not well explicated. The ending is perhaps a bit preposterous; nevertheless, solid entertainment. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
In five days, the town of Davenport is rocked by four brutal murders - two couples - their bodies found tied and staked out on the banks of Putah Creek. Then two more bodies are found, Paul Madriani thinks there is more to this case than meets eye. ( )
  Lynngood | Jul 4, 2010 |
Oddly enough, I read this window into the legal workings of a small Southern county in a hotel room in Nashville. The descriptions of the politicians, lawyers, and law enforcement officers ring very true, although some bitterness towards insiders and other people who waste government money comes through pretty clearly. It could be the narrator being bitter, I suppose, rather than the author.

The book is blurbed as a "powerful new courtroom thriller" but I don't think there's really that much thrilling about it, at least in the John Grisham sense of "bad guys aiming guns at lawyers". There's a short stalking scene towards the end that might push it into the thriller genre, but that's not one of the book's strong points. Those would include:

The characters, not least the narrator, who makes fascinating leadership decisions.

The politics. You'll find out just how Roscoe P. Coltrane kept on as sherriff of Hazzard County after all those years of failing to catch the Dukes out.

The puzzle. You wouldn't have suspected it would make much of a whodunit, based on the amount of legalese going on, but I never saw the identity of the murderer coming. Not until they said it straight out in the last few pages of the book.

A few minor issues come up here and there; repetitive language and some laziness in describing emotions, and the hero faces down a lot of opposition rather glibly. But still, one of the better courtroom dramas out there. ( )
  benfulton | Jun 22, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

To the Mothers, Rita and Betty,
for their interest, care and love
They are the birds of darkness and noiseless flight, fierce and savage.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible