Temple by Matthew Reilly

Temple (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Matthew Reilly (Author)

Deep in the jungle of Peru, the race of the century is underway. A race to locate a legendary Incan idol - an idol carved out of a strange kind of stone. A stone which in the late 20th contury could be used as the basis of a terrifying new weapon. The US Army wants that idol - at any cost - but they are not alone.… (more)
Member:BornOfHecate
Title:Temple
Authors:Matthew Reilly (Author)
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2007), Edition: First, 542 pages

Work Information

Temple by Matthew Reilly (1999)

Amazonia by James Rollins (tottman)
    tottman: Bot are excellent adventures set in South America with secrets lurking in the jungle.
    Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth by Christopher Golden (Smitie)
    Smitie: In this novel inspired by the video game "Uncharted," treasure hunter Nathan Drake travels the globe to solve the murder of his friend and faces an ancient mystery of alchemy and hidden labyrinths. The fast-paced action is very similar to Temple.

English (25)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
This book hurt. "At that exact same moment" I lost count of the number of times I would have thrown a physical book away. It is a mess. The bad guys are worse than cardboard. Their motivations are either non-existent or just plain ludicrous. The central premise of the Thyrium and the Super Nova were handled so badly, it was clear Reilly doesn't know much about nuclear physics. Although from the action scenes he is well versed in Hollywood Physics.

There were some interesting scenes. The falling tank would have been a great scene if I hadn't already grown to despise the book and just wanted to get to the end so that it would just be over.

One bonus is that I can be much more confident in my own writing, knowing that something like this can actually get published. ( )
  paulwcampbell | Oct 10, 2019 |
Best thing about this book was discovering a friend had read it too. So we ordered another bottle of Rioja and had a good laugh at how crap it was. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
This book was a wild ride... a cross between Indiana Jones and Jason Bourne. I loved every minute!
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
I'm a little sad. Not because of this book, this book was great. I'm sad because I've now read all of Matthew Reilly's books at least once. I have to wait for his next book to be published: wait!!

If anything, Temple is probably one of Matt's best books. In typical Reilly style it redefines fast paced and action packed, but this also feels more complete than the Jack West Jnr series. It is also one of his longer books, so plenty of entertainment in this novel to keep you going.

In short, read it. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I really enjoy Reilly's writing style. He really knows how to keep the action going and he creates some crazy fabulous scenes. The Temple was no different - action packed all the way. The only negative I have about it is I thought there one too many groups competing for the supernova and also I thought Race disabling it one time would have plenty. I didn't think another 100 pages was needed to introduce another like 5th?? 10th?? 30th?? competing group (I started losing count after 3) with Race disabling the Supernova entirely again for a 2nd time. Just thought that was way too much. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
For my brother, Stephen.
William Race was late for work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,605,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible