The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

50,827325715 (4.33)2 / 2395
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:Pumpkinson
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.
Tags:novels

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Recently added byRachelBcourt03, MelRuth, private library, llibresantjoan, readingbeader, izzied, OceaneBellenger
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (3,161)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (18)  German (14)  French (7)  Italian (5)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (3,245)
So—I wanted to wait to read this book after the series was finished, and then everyone loved it, so I put off reading it again. I seem to have this issue with not being on the one to recommend things. Seems like a bad idea for a librarian to be this way, huh? You can read the summary here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2767052-the-hunger-games Don’t read the summaries for Catching Fire or Mocking Jay unless you have read the one before (no spoilers that way!)

Once I started reading Hunger Games, I couldn’t stop. I think it took me about 3.5 to 4 hours. I was drawn into the world of Panem; I don’t want to live there, but I couldn’t look away either. I cared about the relationships Katniss developed with Peeta, Haymitch, Cinna, and her prep team. I needed to remember that Katniss was just a kid, when she didn’t grow personally fast enough to suit me. She’s smart, skilled, but stubborn. I cried in one place in this book—District 8’s gift to Katniss touched me unexpectedly. After reading so many YA books, it was nice to be surprised that way.

I’d recommend this book to guys and girls who are interested in a fast paced book with real characters that react like we would if we were thrown into such hard circumstances.
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
My students told me to expect a slow start, so I was willing to push through the beginning to get to the good stuff—the Quarter Quell games and the “shocking” terms of it. I wasn’t shocked; it is a series after all, and not one of those where the second book is a “companion” with the third one tying the first two together. (I don’t mind those when I know that is the plan.)

Without spoilers, I can say that the gang is back together and face even more obstacles. Rebellion against the Capitol is stirring and Katniss has to figure out how she fits in and what she can do to keep her family alive. The writing was good again, descriptive without too much information so your imagination can supply the rest. The drama is in great supply and fuels the tension making me turn the pages as fast as I could. I left the book at home one day and considered going back for it after I got to school!
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
The only reason I got emotionally invested in the novel was because I was yelling at Collins for the way she wrote: She needs to learn what a semi-colon is; a lot of the scenes were embarrassingly corny. Suzanne Collins' writing style is too contrived with stock writing techniques for my tastes. If I can tell you're writing a story, you're not writing well. The whole plot was almost entirely predictable; the only "twist" that caught me was Thresh's lone appearance. Love triangles are overused as it is, and Collins failed to make the one in this book fresh or original, and Katniss' opinion of the whole affair is too vague and objective. I feel like Katniss failed to grow in any meaningful way; she came out with just a little more determination; in a trilogy like this, the protagonist must grow. Some other reader mentioned how Katniss never had spilled any blood, and I must agree that her lack of guilt is a major letdown.

I knew The Hunger Games wouldn't make any significant literary contribution, but I at least expected it to be well-written (I found it's pure entertainment value entirely negligible!); just throw it into the infinitely large pile of poorly-written popular novels; more trash to ruin the speculative-fiction genre. Everyone may be paying attention to it now, but it will soon be (thankfully) forgotten. ( )
  Mackey_Attackey | Oct 25, 2020 |
Having managed to completely ignore this series (both books and movies) for several years, I finally got around to reading the first one - and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not classic literature, it's not the world's best writing ever, but it was readable and the storyline was enough to keep me interested. I might even, at some stage, get around to reading the next book in the series (although with a to-read list which is already in the hundreds and which gets longer every week, I'm making no promises about when that might be!)

DebsDd | Oct 19, 2020 |
One of my favorite books! Definitely for the older audiences. Has a great sense of survival and adventure and will keep you wanting to read. Hard to put down once you get started!
  tabethadeines | Oct 16, 2020 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible