The hunger games by Suzanne Collins

The hunger games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

56,873337515 (4.31)2 / 2431
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:Jhag
Title:The hunger games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (theretiredlibrarian, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are young adult reality TV dystopias, but in very different ways. In Surviving Antarctica, the reality show is the last chance the protagonists have to earn money for an education - and despite initial hopes that they will be looked after, they soon realize that their lives matter only as much as their ratings.… (more)
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)

English (3,271)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (17)  German (13)  French (8)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (3,361)
It's only when you read books like this that you realise the true limits of your own abilities. I didn't think I'd like it, as I usually have a problem with books written in the first person (just my personal preference), but I loved it. The basic premise is not so original (a bit similar to other books/films such as Logan's Run) but it works so well due to the author's suspense-filled, action-packed, fast-paced writing style. Suzanne Collins you are a master of your art and you put us mere mortals to shame. ( )
  MJWebb | Sep 22, 2022 |
Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games. The first series that introduced (in my eyes at least) the dystopian genre to a wider audience and really showed kids and young adults the true nature of what a dystopian society is like and how we currently are living in one (half joking, half serious).

There are so many things I can say that I loved about the series, but I'm sure there are many essays out there already that can convey just how much of a masterpiece this trilogy was with better wording that I ever will so I'm just going to give all 3 books 5 stars and hope that's enough. ( )
  Adlanji | Sep 6, 2022 |
If I told you that a book about kids being forced to fight each other would make a great YA (or Middle Grade - not sure about all the categories now) novel, you'd probably think I'm crazy, but this is one terrific book.

Future America is split into 12 districts, all controlled by a central government who, to assert their power, force each district to provide one boy and one girl between the ages of 12-18, to participate in a televised fight to the death called "The Hunger Games". The story follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12, who fights to keep her humanity above all else under this oppression.

I highly recommend this one for Middle Grade readers. It is violent, but it's very well written and raises issues about how a person's situation could be different than it is. Katniss is a character who struggles against the instincts her situation brings to the surface. She's is not perfect, but I came away from the book liking her a great deal.
  SDanielson | Sep 5, 2022 |
When it comes to The Hunger Games, you will hardly find anybody who has never heard of this book. I knew what it was about pretty much since its publication, but always avoided to read it because of the ridiculous hype it received. Suzanne Collins has influenced an entire genre with her trilogy, inspiring popular series like [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899] or [b:Legend|9275658|Legend (Legend, #1)|Marie Lu|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333909141s/9275658.jpg|14157512], which can be considered an achievement to be admired for. The opinion that this series is way over-hyped still hasn't left my mind, but by now, I can finally see why this book is so beloved by readers all over the world. Easy to get into, easy to read, not too complex, yet fast-paced and cleverly plotted with characters you can easily get attached to - that's what defines The Hunger Games, in my opinion. Some of its qualities can be considered negative in a literary context, but for me it also became a book which it was impossible to take down after a certain amount of pages, and even inspite of its clearly present flaws, Suzanne Collins managed to create an engaging adventure story in a dystopian setting.

The adventure aspect in this book was the most intriguing. I didn't know about most of the plot points before reading it, so the book continued to surprise me with every chapter. Fast-paced as it was, boredom never managed to overtake the excitement of learning what was to come next, as well as the interior urge to learn what happened in the past to divide the districts in such a way. Unfortunately, a historical background to previous events in the novel's timeline which lead to the way Panem is structured in this story was the last thing Suzanne Collins thought about to give her readers, but I still don't lose hope that we get a more insightful exploration of this topic in the following sequels. Also, it's difficult to believe the explanation for the introduction of the Hunger Games as a method to keep citizens from organizing another uprising against the powerful government. Some plot points felt forced, as if Collins needed to take the plot in a certain direction and sacrificed her characters for the sake of the plot, but ultimately, she managed to create a balanced story with both engaging plotlines and interesting characters.

The novel cannot be praised for its originality; in fact, a lot of people have already pointed out before how similar it is to the earlier published Japanese [b:Battle Royale|57891|Battle Royale|Koushun Takami|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331235272s/57891.jpg|2786327], but reading it for what it is, that fact doesn't take the excitement away from the novel. I practically inhaled the last 200 pages in the course of a few hours, always wanting to know what was to happen next, and the portrayal of Katniss Everdeen as the female protagonist helped a lot with this: Katniss is strong, cunning, she doesn't mind what others think of her, and she doesn't hesitate to use certain events to her own benefit, even if it means manipulating others. A lot of other authors have since then tried to come up with more characters like Katniss, but most of them feel like bad copies (yes, I am totally referring to Divergent's Tris). In addition, the reality television aspect was an outstanding part of the novel which I particularly enjoyed. It seemed like a very believable and realistic addition to the story.

Ultimately, even if there are things you can criticize about The Hunger Games, those aspects never became strong enough to disrupt my enjoyment of the excitement that was this book. I am definitely going to read the sequel, even though I'll wait some time in order to escape my usual antipathy against second books in a series. I don't exactly regret never having read it earlier, but it is also a good feeling to have read it now and to finally know the reasons for the hype it received. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
I reread this book with the experienced eyes of someone who has had time to seriously think about the meaning behind the book, has seen the movie, and has read the next two books in the series. This time through, even knowing how it was going to end, I found it every bit as suspenseful as the first time. Suzanne Collins knows how to suck the reader in and keep you entranced. Looking forward to reading it again in a few years. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 2076

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,027,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible