The hunger games by Suzanne Collins

The hunger games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

56,915337815 (4.31)2 / 2431
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:myfanaticheart
Title:The hunger games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (theretiredlibrarian, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are young adult reality TV dystopias, but in very different ways. In Surviving Antarctica, the reality show is the last chance the protagonists have to earn money for an education - and despite initial hopes that they will be looked after, they soon realize that their lives matter only as much as their ratings.… (more)
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)

English (3,274)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (17)  German (13)  French (8)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (3,364)
peeniss ( )
  ninaleonidovna | Oct 2, 2022 |
The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Could you survive on your own in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games

But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weight survival against humanity and life against love.

I really enjoyed this book. I read it in within 24 hours. I didn’t know this at the time but this is Suzanne Collin’s first young adult novel. I couldn’t imagine growing up in a world like that having no control over your own life. Not having enough food to feed my family. So it leaves you without the choice of having to put your name in the lottery. It’s a system you aren’t meant to win. It will be interesting to see Peeta and Katniss relationship develop over the next few books. Happy reading everyone!! ( )
  thepageladies | Oct 2, 2022 |
It's only when you read books like this that you realise the true limits of your own abilities. I didn't think I'd like it, as I usually have a problem with books written in the first person (just my personal preference), but I loved it. The basic premise is not so original (a bit similar to other books/films such as Logan's Run) but it works so well due to the author's suspense-filled, action-packed, fast-paced writing style. Suzanne Collins you are a master of your art and you put us mere mortals to shame. ( )
  MJWebb | Sep 22, 2022 |
Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games. The first series that introduced (in my eyes at least) the dystopian genre to a wider audience and really showed kids and young adults the true nature of what a dystopian society is like and how we currently are living in one (half joking, half serious).

There are so many things I can say that I loved about the series, but I'm sure there are many essays out there already that can convey just how much of a masterpiece this trilogy was with better wording that I ever will so I'm just going to give all 3 books 5 stars and hope that's enough. ( )
  Adlanji | Sep 6, 2022 |
If I told you that a book about kids being forced to fight each other would make a great YA (or Middle Grade - not sure about all the categories now) novel, you'd probably think I'm crazy, but this is one terrific book.

Future America is split into 12 districts, all controlled by a central government who, to assert their power, force each district to provide one boy and one girl between the ages of 12-18, to participate in a televised fight to the death called "The Hunger Games". The story follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12, who fights to keep her humanity above all else under this oppression.

I highly recommend this one for Middle Grade readers. It is violent, but it's very well written and raises issues about how a person's situation could be different than it is. Katniss is a character who struggles against the instincts her situation brings to the surface. She's is not perfect, but I came away from the book liking her a great deal.
  SDanielson | Sep 5, 2022 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 2078

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,293,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible