HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The hunger games by Suzanne Collins

The hunger games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

58,252339515 (4.31)2 / 2438
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:sarahgee30
Title:The hunger games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.

Work Information

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Anonymous user, aliklein, lottpoet)
    Anonymous user: Its just plain amazingly written
    Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (theretiredlibrarian, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are young adult reality TV dystopias, but in very different ways. In Surviving Antarctica, the reality show is the last chance the protagonists have to earn money for an education - and despite initial hopes that they will be looked after, they soon realize that their lives matter only as much as their ratings.… (more)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 The Hunger Games: Life in the Capitol17 unread / 17Chris123th, September 2017
 Read YA Lit: Group Read: The Hunger Games106 unread / 106pwaites, February 2014

English (3,298)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (17)  German (13)  French (8)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (3,389)
Reread recently as these were a favourite of mine when they came out, still loved them but the writing is simple and doesn’t flow well, the plot and characters are still amazing and I love these books completely, as long as you can get into the writing ( )
  katejo99 | Jan 28, 2023 |
I really enjoyed reading this book, and I thought for sure I was going to only give this 3 stars simply because of all the hype it receives. I loved the action, the constantly moving plot, and the creativity of Collins. Can't wait to read the second. ( )
  librariandiva2 | Jan 27, 2023 |
This was a good Distopian book for anyone in High School or older. But it is not appropriate subject matter for elementary age students. I also think the movie being rated PG 13 is ridiculous. It should definitely be rated R. It is more like The Hand Maids Tale than Harry Potter and it is totally inappropriate for young kids. I wouldn't give children this book just because a 12 year old could be chosen for the games. ( )
  Chautauquan | Jan 26, 2023 |
I devoured this book in about a day and a half -- no pun intended! This is the second YA series I've put off reading, despite recommendations from friends, because I was just SURE I wouldn't like it (the other was Harry Potter, which of course I loved). So in future I am resolved to avoid judging books by their genre. Moving on now to [b:Catching Fire|6148028|Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)|Suzanne Collins|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358273780s/6148028.jpg|6171458]. ( )
  AuntieG0412 | Jan 23, 2023 |
16-year-old Katniss spends her days hunting and gathering to support her mother and her younger sister. Her anxiety is building as the reaping draws near, when the current year’s tributes from District 12 will be chosen to take part in the Hunger Games in the Capitol. One boy and one girl from each of the twelve districts will compete in the games, and only the winner will live to tell about it. Katniss knows Peeta, the boy who will represent District 12, as the baker’s son. They will get to know each other a lot better as they prepare for the games.

This is not my usual genre, so I was surprised at how quickly I was caught up into Katniss’s world. I listened to the audio version narrated by Tatiana Maslany, mostly while driving to and from work, and it felt like Katniss was in the car with me, telling me her story. I had about 4 hours of audio left when I arrived home from work last night, and I spent the rest of the evening listening to it. It’s rare that I find an audiobook that hard to pause! ( )
  cbl_tn | Jan 20, 2023 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,865,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible