The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

65,479349315 (4.31)2 / 2471
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:marigal1229
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2008.
Rating:*****
Tags:own, series

Work Information

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)

BitLife (11)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 The Hunger Games: Life in the Capitol17 unread / 17Chris123th, September 2017
 Read YA Lit: Group Read: The Hunger Games106 unread / 106pwaites, February 2014

English (3,392)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (17)  German (13)  French (8)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Latin (1)  All languages (3,485)
First sentence: When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.

I have seen the movie more than I've read the book. I *believe* that this is my third time to read the novel. And it appears that the last time I actually read the book was October of 2012! I'm surprised by that.

This has been 'the year' for me revisiting this series. I've reread The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I've seen that movie adaptation twice. I've binged my way through the original movie trilogy. I've been intending to actually read the books themselves again. There is another 'prequel' coming next year, I think.

As I said, I've watched the movie so many times since 2012, it was so refreshing to discover--rediscover--the DEPTH and substance of the book itself. There are so many layers. Especially when you add in what you've learned from the prequel. One thing that may be super-super-super obvious is that Katniss (our heroine) is BROKEN and traumatized from the moment we meet her. She is strong and resilient and a bit hardened. But the death of her father, the failing of her mother to be an adult, a parent, the HARSH realities of the district, these have made the Katniss we know. She's a provider, a survivor. The Games definitely contributed to her PTSD, her trauma-induced mental and emotional distress, but it wasn't only the games. Life in district 12 is hard--difficult. Raising yourself and your sister is difficult.

I also was detail focused as I was rereading trying to observe things about all the districts and the characters--no matter how small--themselves. Again, so many layers if you've mainly spent time with the movies.

I do plan on reading the other books in this series. Rereading that is. 2012 may feel like a few years ago, but it's over ten. ( )
  blbooks | Jul 15, 2024 |
This book is another reminder for me to not bother with incredibly popular books. I seriously don't get all the hype around it, sure the premise is good but the execution is lacking.

The writing is very simplistic, and I found it hard to picture the characters and surroundings in my head.

I also found Katniss very unlikeable, she's one of those YA fantasy girls who just knows how to do everything. I found her to be a Mary Sue, and she just thinks that she is better than everyone. I have no problems with characters made to be unlikeable, I like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid (which I know is a kids book, I don't care) and Greg is made to be a terrible person. But when you have a character that is unlikeable, you need the people surrounding the character to be good people, so you can see that the main character is intentionally bad. When you have a character who honestly sucks in a world WHERE KIDS ARE FORCED TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR ENTERTAINMENT you don't know if you're meant to like or dislike the character.

And where do I even start on the love part of the story, it was so unnecessary! I know this is a book for teens, but why does there need to be a romance side plot? Cause nothing says romance more than a barbaric game of teens killing each over! Also, Katniss and Peeta have no chemistry together, it doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, whilst Hunger Games sounds like a cool idea, it's not executed well. The idea isn't even unique to this series, as Battle Royale has a similar premise, so I'll try that out. I know this review will probably have fangirls and fanboys upset, but I don't care. ( )
  CoffeeAndRamune | Jul 9, 2024 |
So I actually downloaded this book about 2 months ago, constantly trying to remind myself to read it.

What the heck took me so long???

I started this book Saturday morning and finished that night, and pretty much igmored every human encounter in between.

Right off I love a good heroine, so Katniss charms my heart, and, even though I'm 30 years old, something about a teenage romance gets me everytime... I know...I know...

So the good-

Katniss & Peeta-

Good characters, just hands down people I want to love. 15, or 30 these are 2 people that have a little of ourselves in them.

The Capitol-

Now, I have only just started the 2nd book, but from the inital chapter I know this is gonna be one bad*%$ villan.

The Bad-

The target age group-

Its my only complaint with this book! I only worry since I personally dont think my 12 year old could handle this book (but again that just MY child, he's slightly on the immature side of 12. It is without a doubt children killing children. Its a subject that tough for parents to handle at times also. But I would definetly read it WITH a child, where I would be able to explain the violence I suppose.

Overall, I was hooked on this book...a nice short read that sucked me in,...oh and one other downfall...I now feel as though people are at all time watching me.... ( )
  bmcgee1944 | Jul 7, 2024 |
While not mind-blowingly good enough for me to rate it five stars, this book will forever be one of the first that comes to mind when I think of YA novels that I grew up with. The world that Suzanne Collins created is heartwrenching and intriguing. Most characters have enough depth to make me want to know far more about them, even more minor characters like Cinna. Katniss is a strong female character, and her practical, straightforward mindset is nice to see in a woman in YA. She is not "above" romance but, realistically, has far greater concerns throughout the story. I found Peeta a little flat and boring, but his level-headedness and devotion to Katniss are endearing. Interestingly, Haymitch has always been my favourite character, but I think the movie added more to his personality than the book did upon revisiting it.

The disconnection between the perspective of those in the districts and those in the Capitol is an interesting societal commentary and probably my favourite part of this book. What is an immoral life-or-death scenario for the disadvantaged is seen as entertainment and an excuse for excess by those in the Capitol. Though most are well-meaning, those who grew up in a life of luxury are unable to connect to the district citizens as human beings, let alone equals. Meanwhile, Katniss and Peeta note this pityingly, as if the transgressors were children with no means by which to do better. This disconnection continues as, within the arena, acts of humanity and emotion are deemed acts of rebellion and treachery by the gamemakers and politicians, especially Katniss' respect for Rue, and the only way to rectify such actions is to treat them as devoid of all meaning after the games are over. I am excited to re-read the rest of this series and remember how this separation boils over. ( )
  rosearia | Jul 1, 2024 |
yup. this was an all nighter. ( )
  Sporkles | Jun 29, 2024 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Awards

Distinctions

Notable Lists

Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,699,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible