The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

52,818331515 (4.32)2 / 2404
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:hermanm
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Hardcover, 384 pages

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Recently added byprivate library, CStehlin, Zoelynn, Graynewood, Forumbewohner, anasofal, luiszanoni, MicahandMikaela
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Anonymous user, aliklein, lottpoet)
    Anonymous user: Its just plain amazingly written
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)

English (3,217)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (18)  German (14)  French (7)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (3,303)
If you are looking for a quick read with minimal interpretive investment, look no further. For all it's simplicity-- the under-whelming prose, the over-predictable story-- I could not help myself from staying up past 3am to plough through this book.

I can't fault the author for not delving deeper into her story's setting and characters; the intended audience would not tolerate the level of detail and the impact to pacing would ruin its status as an addictive page turner.

That said, really would have loved this book as a more thoroughly fleshed-out adult novel. While undeniably formulaic, there is a lot of potential in the setting. There is enough promise of political intrigue that I will likely read the rest of the series in time, but in my heart I am sure I will be sad to see this universe go before I have really scraped its surface.

dowswell | Jul 25, 2021 |
In the Hunger Games we are introduced to the enigmatic Katniss Everdeen as she volunteers to save her sister's life and is therefore thrust into the vicious blood-sport spectacle that is the Hunger Games themselves. She must learn that not only basic instinct but also charm is needed in order to survive. As she takes upon herself the mantle of "the girl on fire", we are right there with her and the male tribute from District 12 as this 75th Hunger Games is set ablaze. A truly great series thus far and still 2 more to read. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jul 21, 2021 |
The hunger games is an alternate future story set in a world governed by one central city, supported by a series of districts. At some point in the past, the people of these districts rebelled and were crushed by the capital so now evrey year each district must send two tributes agred between 12 and 18 to compete in the hunger games, a survival game which only one person will emerge from.

Despite it's horrible subject matter, I enjoyed this book greatly and would recomend it. The protagonist, Katniss, is someone who is competent but not in all areas, she doesn't all into the trap it would be easy for her to fall into in a book like this of kicking ass in tight trousers rather then being a relaistic character, strong female character as opposed to strong character: female. She is intelligent, and knows how to hunt, which is her advantage. She's physically disadvantaged in a fight and that is something that stays with her. She is determined ot win but a bad judge of people and somewhat naive about her own impact on the people around her (the only thing I found unbelieveable about her character was that someone so astute woudln't notice she drew a certain kind of attention). She's in a complex situation and navigating complex inter-personal relationships which she isn't comfortable with, and she's fascinating to read.

The setting is also fascinating, and gives a lot of scope for the other two books in the series. I feel like this could almost be read as more of a fascinating introduction to the world then anything else. In addition to Katniss we have some good supporting characters, though some of them are drawn a little flat at times. The storytelling is good, the weight given to different acts, the ways knowing you're fighting for you life changes you and how they'd explored are good too.

It's an interesting, well written and compelling book, I would recomend it. ( )
  TPauSilver | Jul 21, 2021 |
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.”
― Suzanne Collins

As always my reviews are based off of my true and honest opinion and I do my best to keep all reviews spoiler free.

Katniss is a 16 year old girl who is thrown into an arena. This is a game were they take two children from each district and throw them in an arena to fight to the death. 24 in total. A boy and girl of from each district and Katniss and Peeta are districts 12's tributes. They are sent to the arena where they are forced to parade themselves around in hopes of getting sponsers to get an advantage in the games. She must use all her skills while she attempts to survive.

I listened to this on audiobook. It was my first audiobook, and I loved it. The story is absolutely amazing. It's messed up, but keeps you hooked through the entire book. The characters are brought alive and leaves nothing to be desired. The love triangle in the book is there but the two are so different from each other thats its easy to choose your ship. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Enjoyed quite a bit a long time ago. ( )
  FDKreader | Jul 12, 2021 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

3 1942

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,484,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible