The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (1)

55,020334315 (4.32)2 / 2426
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)
Member:phoebenye
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (bogreader)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Anonymous user, aliklein, lottpoet)
    Anonymous user: Its just plain amazingly written
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)

English (3,247)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (17)  German (13)  French (7)  Italian (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Latin (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (3,335)
This is a really good book. I started to feel for the characters. I can't wait to read the next book ( )
  kskristine | May 17, 2022 |
The Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen who sacrifices herself to the Hunger Games that take place in post apocalyptic times. Katniss must find a way to survive the games and return home safe to her mom and younger sister. I loved reading this book when I was in High school. It told a really cool story, I read all the books from the series because they were all so good. ( )
  mcervantes4 | Apr 8, 2022 |
Another book I was reluctant to read due to the hype surrounding the movie version - but I'm glad I picked it up.
I understand the book is considered "teen fiction" and I found it lacked a little depth as a result. The whole concept of the gladiatorial Hunger Games is explained away in a few inadequate lines early in the book. There is no analysis as to why the districts are so poor and the centre is so affluent - where does that wealth come from?
But beyond the lack of background, the plot, the characters and the whole production is well done, and an enjoyable read. There is enough suspense without it becoming artificial, enough character development to be realistic, and the violence is there, but not glorified.
I'm about 50 years beyond the intended demographic for the book, but I'll be back for the later volumes in the trilogy. ( )
  mbmackay | Apr 4, 2022 |
An excellent book, with some scathing commentary on our reality television culture. This book isn't perfect, but I really enjoyed the details contrasting District 12 and the Capitol. Not to mention, the point where Katniss realizes what a rebellion could look like and how the Capitol couldn't realistically let both their tributes die is very well-written. The characters are compelling, the plot is very interesting, and the satire is excellent. This is a book that has something to say and says it well. ( )
  worddragon | Mar 4, 2022 |
Suzanne Collins is simply amazing and "The Hunger Games" will always be one of my all-time favorites. This tale of oppression and hope had me from Katniss' first no nonsense description of her no-frills relationship with Buttercup.

"No hissing. Entrails... the closest we will ever come to love."

She's such a great heroine because she's so relatable. Hasn't had an easy life. Can't get her words out right when she needs to. Tries to do the right thing. Isn't sure how she feels about a boy who is her best friend and another one who she's quietly thought about for years. Would do anything to save her sister. And her story is so hard to put down, dragging you with her as Prim is reaped and she volunteers. As Twelve stands in silence and something is born, and as Peeta Mellark, the boy with the bread, has his name plucked from the reaping bowl. Just gorgeous writing.

Collins does such a great job with the romance with these two because it's sweet, it's flawed in places, and has its rocky points. Katniss has a hard time accessing her emotions because she's never had time to sit down and think of the luxury of falling in love. And yet Collins slips it in on the page anyway, there from the first moment she picks up those loaves of bread in the rain. A must-read. 5/5 stars. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusli, HetihTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 2032

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible