The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria

The Post-American World (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Fareed Zakaria (Author)

The author of the bestselling "The Future of Freedom" describes a world in which the U.S. will no longer dominate the global economy. He sees the "rise of the rest" as the great story of our time, and one that will reshape the world.
Member:mfigroid
Title:The Post-American World
Authors:Fareed Zakaria (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2009), 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Read in 2016, Current Events

The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria (2008)

English (47)  Danish (1)  All languages (48)
While I am usually not a fan of political or economic texts, this book proved very interesting. This book succeeded where other texts don't by giving a historical context to the matters that it is discussing. The basis of the book was that America is entering into a decline merely because other countries are beginning to become politically and economically prominent (most notably China and India.)

The book goes on to recommend ways for America to continue to be relevant (mostly diplomatically) so that it does not crash in the manner which Britain did. Throughout the book is a tone of unwavering optimism and the writer manages to be engaging even when rattling off GDP and PPP statistics.

While I did not find myself agreeing 100% with everything that was said, I still found this text to be valuable and engaging, a rarity for books of this nature. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Thought I'd like this more than I did. It's not at all about the title...it's about American globalization and how the USA can succeed in the changing world economy. This book came out early in 2008 so it must have been written in 2007; it's dated. The book reads like a series of thoughts, not necessarily stuck together. In the end, he doesn't say much...just blather. I did not toss it--read it to the end. But, should have given up after just a few chapters. Glad it came from the library and I did not pay for it. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 30, 2017 |
It is interesting reading this in 2017 with the hindsight of three presidential elections and the 2008 economic crisis. In the end, I think most of Zakaria's conclusions hold up well, although some of the economic ones require updating. My rating would be higher if It weren't dated in several places. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Feb 18, 2017 |
This guy is clueless ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
This one I must say was almost unputdownable.

In this book, the theme is the rise of the rest. He focuses on the emerging powers, China and India. Past failed powers such as Great Britain and why that empire collapsed the way it did and also a detailed examination of the American systems in the realms of Finance, Politics, Education and Foreign Policy, which makes for some very interesting reading.

More than the content of the book is his style of writing which I find to be very idiomatic and free flowing.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
maybe it takes a Bombay-born immigrant like Zakaria, who went from Yale to Harvard (where we were colleagues) and to the top of Newsweek International, to remind this faltering giant of its unique and enduring strengths. America will be in trouble only when China becomes home to tomorrow’s hungry masses yearning to be free — and to make it.

Growth takes place whenever a challenge evokes a successful response that, in turn, evokes a further and different challenge. We have not found any intrinsic reason why this process should not repeat itself indefinitely, even though a majority of civilizations have failed, as a matter of historical fact. - Arnold J. Toynbee, A Study of History
For Arshad Zakaria
Every golden age comes to a close. (Paperback Introduction)
This is a book not about the decline of America but rather the rise of everyone else.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039306235X, 0393334805, 039308180X

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,116,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible