The Passion According to G.H. (Emergent…

The Passion According to G.H. (Emergent Literatures) (original 1964; edition 1988)

by Clarice Lispector

A disoriented and confused young woman looks back on her life and her place in the world."
Member:Silverlion
Title:The Passion According to G.H. (Emergent Literatures)
Authors:Clarice Lispector
Info:University of Minnesota Press (1988), Paperback, 173 pages
Rating:**

The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector (1964)

chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
For me this is a 3.5 - 3.7 star book. I think there was a time in my 20s where it would have blown me away with its philosophical and existential themes. A thinking persons book written in an unique and effective style.

But now sometimes I just want a good story, with less descriptions of a roach.

I can really be a philistine. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Exceptional. I originally tried to read at the beginning of quarantine and could not handle it. On the face -- it is the story of a woman who walks into her maids room and kills a cockroach. But it was so much more than that, and the horror goes all the way down. I got so close to where she wanted me to go. I have never read prose like this in my life. ( )
  adaorhell | Jan 3, 2021 |
The Passion is a strange mix of the thrilling and timeless (the central crisis is a *squashed cockroach*, which will probably be comprehensible and original when the fabled cockroaches rule the planet; the mysticism isn't original, but this nearly atheistic version of it is an interesting tweak, and history suggests people will be having mystical experiences for some time) with what seems, today at least, cliche (this book could almost be a chapter from a dissertation on Deleuze and Guattari's concept of becoming-animal; there's altogether too much odor of '60s philosophy for me).

Occasionally it's astonishing, and I'm sure different readers will be struck by different scenes. My memory of the book will probably be the scene itself, which I see as one of those highly schematic, brightly lit Florentine annunciations, only the angel is a half-dead roach.

Rather too often, it's also borderline unreadable. This might be a problem with the translation, but the introduction suggests that the novel is one of those "redrafting and fixing sentences would just get in the way of the authentic emotion" deals, which are close to my least favorite deals. The form is also uncomfortably close to *actual* mysticism textbooks, e.g., Margeurite Porete, which guide the reader through a series of fairly obviously artificial 'stages', breaking down one's self and getting closer to god (or, in this case, something else). No novel should aim to produce the sensations you get from reading those textbooks. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |
In the words of the author, I adore it. A weaved text with rich language and a compelling philosophy about what it is to be human, told by the powerful voice of Lispector in a novel where very little actions transpire, but the stream of the protagonists thoughts present varied views on religion, belief, and choice. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |

Lispector, Clariceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Novey, IdraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

I keep looking, looking. Trying to understand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,672,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible