Danse, danse, danse by Haruki Murakami

Danse, danse, danse (original 1988; edition 2004)

by Haruki Murakami (Author)

Series: Dance Dance Dance (complete), The Rat (4)

Haunted by the sound of someone weeping softly for him, a man in his mid-thirties returns to northern Hokkaido to find her.
Member:jlbalma
Title:Danse, danse, danse
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Info:Seuil (2004), 560 pages
Collections:Calibre

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami (1988)

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (cpav55, Disco_grinch)
    cpav55: Dance Dance Dance (Dans Dans Dans) maakt met Pinball 1973 en De jacht op het verloren schaap min of meer deel uit van de serie, maar het zijn wel losstaande verhalen.
    Disco_grinch: Dance, Dance, Dance is a sequel to Murakami's novel A Wild Sheep Chase

English (68)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (79)
My favorite Murakami, after The Wind-Up Bird. It's more or less a part 2 to Wild Sheep Chase, but both can be read as stand-alones. I accidentally read this one first, and I think the experience is just as good (although surely different). Sometimes the Sheepman's way of talking got on my nerves, but that's about my only negative critique. I really love his characters, their thoughts, their way of seeing the world. ( )
  ErinLSands87 | Aug 24, 2020 |
People have their own reasons for dying. It might look simple, but it never is. It's just like a rock. What's above ground is only a small part of it. But if you start pulling, it keeps coming and coming. The human mind dwells deep in darkness. Only the person himself knows the real reason, and maybe not even then. ( )
1 vote SolangePark | Jul 12, 2020 |
Finished this in a day, and don't think I could have tolerated an extended read with days in between. It lets you go, and then pulls you back in again, over and over. In that way, quite like a dance. In the end, what are you left with? Like much Murakami, maybe nothing. Pictures of another world you may never see or visit again. But you danced.
  brandonlee | Jun 11, 2020 |
I continue to read Haruki Murakami with absolute delight. This is heralded as a sequel of his "Chasing wild sheep" It is helpful to read "Sheep", but it is not necessary as Murakami provides enough details to give you a solid background to read the story. I had finishing reading "Sheep" and was looking for another one of his stories (I have read six so far) to read. I researched some of the book reviews and "Dance, Dance, Dance" was recommended. One of the reason people were recommending the book is Murakami provides some biographically facts through his character and story. I thought "Sheep" was a good read. "Dance" was one of those books that not only do you relate to, but it become a friend and you are sad when it ends. The narrator is a lost soul at thirty four. By using character foils the narrator goes through a metamorphosis. The metaphysical world continues through the book with his lost girl "Kiki" leading the way. I also felt the author biographical part of the story, to the point I could relate to not only the narrator's metamorphous but some of the characters he meets.

The only downside I found is you read a lot of Murakami, he seems to use stero type characters.
To me it was a great book and one of the reasons I gave it five stars is there enough material in the philosophy and thought the major of the readers will enjoy it. ( )
1 vote modioperandi | May 12, 2020 |
I'm still processing this one. It was a strange mash-up of thriller, philosophical deep-dive, and absurdist fiction. And it worked. It totally worked. ( )
1 vote gregscheer | Apr 17, 2020 |

Murakami, Harukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I often dream about the Dolphin Hotel.
"But when I think back on my life, it's like I didn't make one choice. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and it scares me. Where's the first-person "I"? Where's the beef?"
Gotanda, p146, Vintage ed.
"Dance," said the Sheep Man. "Yougottadance. Aslongasthemusicplays. Yougottadance. Don'teventhinkwhy. Startothink, yourfeetstop. Yourfeetstop, wegetstuck. Wegetstuck, you'restuck. Sodon'tpayanymind, nomatterhowdumb. Yougottakeepthestep. Yougottalimberup. Yougottaloosenwhatyoubolteddown. Yougottauseallyougot. Weknowyou'retired, tiredandscared. Happenstoeveryone, okay? Justdon'tletyourfeetstop." --The Sheep Man, p. 86, Vintage ed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,637,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible