True Selves: Understanding…

True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism--For Families, Friends,… (1996)

by Mildred L. Brown, Chloe Ann Rounsley

Combines authoritative information and humanitarian insight intothe transsexual experience Filled with wisdom and understanding, this groundbreaking bookpaints a vivid portrait of conflicts transsexuals face on a dailybasis--and the courage they must summon as they struggle to revealtheir true being to themselves and others. True Selves offersvaluable guidance for those who are struggling to understand thesepeople and their situations. Using real life stories, actual letters, and other compellingexamples, the authors give a clear understanding of what it meansto be transsexual. They also give other useful advice, includinghow to deal compassionately with these commonly misunderstoodindividuals--by keeping an open heart, communicating fears, painand support, respecting choices.… (more)

While it was worth reading for the basic 'people are people who should be treated as people' message and some of its basic information, my primary impression of this book is that it is painfully dated. I imagine that when it was published it was quite helpful, but it does make a number of points that are no longer considered correct today.
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
I found it MTF-centric, outdated, and extremely conservative. It also put too much focus on the negative experiences of transsexuals. Great for medical professionals, but should not be read without other sources, and useless for giving to family who are already hostile to the idea of transition. ( )
1 vote thecommonryan | Jun 30, 2008 |
I had a difficult time getting into this book, but it wasn't particularly bad for any reason. I'm guessing true to its title I just wasn't the target audience. Those looking at transsexualism from the outside might find it more informative. ( )
  irishkitsune | Feb 1, 2008 |
I really did like this book, even though it focused mainly on the MtF experience. While there are significant differences between the MtF & FtM experience, at a basic level we are the same: how we come to realize we are trans, accept it, come out to friends and family, anxieties about hormones & surgeries, employment and education. It is 10 years old but still fairly relevant. I gave it to my Mom to read after I came out to her. ( )
  Transflake | Nov 1, 2007 |
...essential book for a rapidly changing world. A panorama of the conflicts transsexuals (TSs) face on a daily basis, which begins with definitions of the condition, then spends time dispelling myths and clarifying terminology between behaviors (ie. transvestites, gays/lesbians, she-males, intersexed...) The book is broken down into sections describing the biological/neurobiological science, psychology, sociology of what it means to be TS from childhood to adulthood as well as treatment and surgical procedures. The most important parts of the book are the powerful real life testimonials that are overflowing throughout....puts a human face on the issues discussed, and should/will challenge your pre-conceived notions of sex, gender, gender identity, socialization, and assimilation. A great (as well as fast) read for knowledge seekers and empathetic individuals who want to display compassion, combined with true understanding, for fellow human beings. ( )
  Tahlil77 | Mar 24, 2007 |

Mildred L. Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rounsley, Chloe Annmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,700,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible