The Beginning Place (1980)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

From multi-award-winning, literary legend Ursula K. Le Guin comes a speculative fiction classic, The Beginning Place. Fleeing from the monotony of his life, Hugh Rogers finds his way to "the beginning place"--a gateway to Tembreabrezi, an idyllic, unchanging world of eternal twilight. Irena Pannis was thirteen when she first found the beginning place. Now, seven years later, she has grown to know and love the gentle inhabitants of Tembreabrezi, or Mountaintown, and she sees Hugh as a trespasser. But then a monstrous shadow threatens to destroy Mountaintown, and Hugh and Irena join forces to seek it out. Along the way, they begin to fall in love. Are they on their way to a new beginning...or a fateful end?… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, Tjhom, nicktruan, TCFBLibrary, AndySawyer, GeekLair, ElsinoreLibrary, A.D.Guzman

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
At 1st this seemed like just what I needed after I endured the colossal boredom of Gertrude Stein's "The Making of Americans": 2 people trapped in the horrors of ordinary suburban life discover a wooded place w/ stream where clocktime is slowed. They go there & are happy for a while w/o spending so much time that they miss going to their jobs. I wd've given this 4 stars but then it degenerated a little into a variation on a sword & sorcery hack job romance. Still, I liked it. I've never read anything by LeGuin that didn't have some strength of idea. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
Bookclub Oct 2019 ( )
  lexiej | Jun 28, 2021 |
I did finish the whole thing. Considering how awesome Le Guin's stuff tends to be, I thought I'd like it more. Definitely clever stuff in it on the ideas and life observations end, but otherwise I found it slow. It's not a fair critique to simply state that the beginning is long, nor simply that not much happens. More like, with how long the beginning is, and with how not much happens, it read pretty offbalance for me. Meant for younger audiences who'll be more sensitive in a first-time way to the clever details? That's just me. Try it anyway! ( )
  EugenioNegro | Mar 17, 2021 |
This is the first book I've read by Ursula K. Le Guin, and I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, the fantasy element is lovely and individual characters are quite interesting, but on the other, I felt very underwhelmed and confused by the way it wrapped up. Hugh falls in love with Allia and soon after hooks up with Irena? I understand that it's meant to be about them being lost in both worlds and ultimately finding solace in each other, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

On to the next Le Guin. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |

Malczynski, ElizabethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martucci, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Que rio es esta
por el cual corre el Ganges?

- J. L. Borges: Heraclito
"Checker on Seven!" and back between the checkstands unloading the wire carts, apples three for eighty-nine, pineapple chunks on special, half gallon of two percent, seventy-five, four, and one is five, thank you, from ten to six six days a week; and he was good at it.
Published as Threshold outside the USA.

In the magic world of Tembreabrezi, across a stream in a place of sweet water, gentle folk, and eternal twilight, two young people from the outside world meet and fall in love.

Poised on edge of adulthood, they are seeking refuge from harsh realities of growing up.

Then a shadow falls on their special place.

Now they must fight to free themselves from the evil that casts a darkness on Tembreabrezi and on their new found happiness.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,393,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible