The Farthest Shore (1972)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (3)

7,081981,065 (4.02)173
A young prince joins forces with a master wizard on a journey to discover a cause and remedy for the loss of magic in Earthsea.
Recently added bySimone_Choi, private library, Brewerlibrary, wmcnzx, CodyWard, sraines34, Estragon1958, k_luvs_k

English (93)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (98)
It was pretty underwhelming. I don't have much to say about the topic of Death, I agree with most of what Le Guin was trying to say, that it's a necessary and natural counterpart to Life. So the philosophical parts were a bit boring for me.

What I did like about this, is how Ged is slowly and slowly becoming like a supporting actor in his own book. So unusual, to see the hero turn old, and in the third book in a series of six at that. I wonder what the next book will be about, if it's true that Ged has lost his magery.

"He's done with doing. He goes home."
  kahell | May 12, 2022 |
I have a confession to make: I've never been able to get into Le Guin's books. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness and the Earthsea trilogy, and there's something to the voice that I find dry and intolerable, like an anthropologist clinically describing observed events. Under this voice, even the most exciting scene is relayed in the monotonous drone of a professor lecturing ungrateful freshman. The Farthest Shore has the additional problem of the apparent main character, Arren, having little-to-no agency for 95% of the book, the plot being driven by Ged and the Other.

Which is a shame, because, otherwise, these books are amazing.

Outside of Doctor Who, it's difficult to find stories where violence does not solve all of your problems. I just reviewed Wolves of the Calla, solution: gunslinger violence. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, solution: violence against androids, then feel bad about it. The Slow Regard of Silent Things, solution: make soap (this might be one of the reasons why I liked this book as well). Cloud Atlas, solution: violence of every genre. Star Wars, solution: lightsaber violence*.

You get the picture.

In The Farthest Shore, violence is never the ultimate the solution. Sacrifice, life, balance, mercy, wisdom, these are the answers. Some quick violence in the service of protection may be necessary, but never as punishment or revenge, and always as a small piece of a greater solution. When I think of books I want my daughter to read as she grows up, Le Guin's sit far ahead of King's, or even Sanderson's (who's been my favorite author for a long while now). I just wish I could get into them myself.

*One might argue that, ultimately, in Return of the Jedi the solution was mercy, given that Luke won by showing mercy to Vader, but one would be forgetting that this mercy was not the final solution; Vader throwing the Emperor down a conveniently placed reactor shaft holds that honor. And Lando blowing up the Death Star. And Han blowing up the shield generator. And Admiral Akbar fighting off the Imperial navy. And, ultimately, you have to consider the Endor holocaust. My point is, the solution was violence on a massive scale, likely killing billions living on the Death Star alone. ( )
  Azuaron | Mar 1, 2022 |
Philosophically speak, great, clear ideas about death and life but the story dragged a bit ( )
  Venarain | Jan 10, 2022 |
Le Guin, as usual, delivers a stunning physical and thematic journey through magic, adventure, philosophy, and the meaning of life and death. Some of the middle dragged a bit for me upon this re-read, but Ged continues to be an interesting character (he and his boat are the best pairing), the world continues to intrigue, and I look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
Another very different novel from the first 2 in the series, this is darker concerning the death of magic, is more a quest story like the first novel but this one is much darker, drug addicts, slavery, madness.
I really liked Arrens sword, a sword that is reluctant to be used. Quite a bit different then the usual fantasy trope of a blood thirsty weapon.
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
As adventure narrative this lacks the concrete tensions of its predecessors, but once more the themes -- centering here on the "unmeasured desire for life" and its misapplications -- are deeply embedded in the action (though far from peculiar to the imagined kingdom of Earthsea)
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Sep 8, 1972)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garraty, GailIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, Anne YvonneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guay, RebeccaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Inglis, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paronis, MargotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth, Caroline, and Theodore
In the court of the fountain the sun of March shone through young leaves of ash and elm, and water leapt and fell through shadow and clear light.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,358,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible