Warstrider by William H. Keith, Jr.

Warstrider (edition 1993)

by William H. Keith, Jr.

Member:CSSF
Title:Warstrider
Authors:William H. Keith, Jr.
Info:Avon Books (Mm) (1993), Edition: First Edition, Paperback

Warstrider by Jr. William H. Keith

Mechwarriors is not my favorite subgenre of science fiction but I have enjoyed several of the authors books in the Heritage, Legacy, Inheritance and Star Carrier series of books so when I saw that this was a republishing of a book series that I had not read by this author I just I had to give it a try.

I have to say that it is a good solid read. I cannot say that it makes me go totally wow or anything but I never lost interest and after having finished the book I felt no hesitation when I added the second book in the series to my “to-read” shelf on Goodreads.

As can be deduced from the book blurb the book is primarily about young Dev Cameron who wanted to fly starships but ends up as a Warstrider pilot instead. Even this was hanging on a thread for some time and I have to say that I felt some despair half way through the book.

Luckily the book is not just about mechwarriors slugging it out but there are some rather interesting alien enemies using nano-technology making things interesting. The political mechanics of the book is also a big part of the story with its Japanese dominance of the human affairs. The main characters in the book are quite well done as are the background story. There are some rather intense action going on but, as I wrote before, the book avoids the trap of turning the entire thing into one big slugfest. In the last third of the book some interesting developments are happening which, to me at least, elevated the book a notch. For any readers not yet having read the book I will of course not reveal any details but the last third of the book was what really made me interested in reading the next book in the series.

In short, a good solid read with something for both the mechwarrior fantast as well as the more general science fiction lover.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
Big, stompy robots fighting weird aliens. Quick, light, fun read. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Fans of Battletech will enjoy this book. There are a lot of similarities between battlemechs and the military machines in this book like Warstriders. It's sort of like Battletech meets Starship Troopers. An entertaining book! ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Aug 20, 2015 |
ABR's full Warstrider audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Warstrider is an interesting twist on the alien invasion theme. Ian Douglas creates a much more realistic scenario about how strange aliens might be. So alien in fact, that we can’t communicate with them, have no idea why they’re attacking us, or what we can do to stop them. It is a horror story idea and one that sounds far more plausible than giant insects.

The alien invaders are called Xenophobes (I know, “fear of strangers,” but that’s what Douglas chose to call them) and they have wiped out several human worlds and are attacking more. The Xenos (as they are also called) have never been seen, but they are able to send out billions of nanobot warriors who disassemble anything in their path, they can also take over machines and turn them against the humans. Zombie robots and liquefied humans, what’s not to like?

Dev Cameron is a space ship pilot who decides to join the military to increase his wealth and prestige; leaving behind a son and wife with barely a glance – nice. He ends up getting pushed further and further down the military ladder until he ends up a foot soldier, or “crunchy,” with a serious downgrade in his expected life-span. Luck and brainpower help him slowly climb back up to become a Warstrider pilot. A warstrider is a gigantic transformer-like machine that is controlled by the operator’s mind. It has some serious fire power, defenses and sounds like a heck of a lot of fun to operate.

The plot is simple enough, destroy the Xenos before they destroy us. The humans might keep them at bay for a while, but the war seems to be endless. And worst of all, what if the invaders make it to Earth? Dev is a Job-like character (as in the Bible), thrown around by the powers above him. He seems rarely able to make his own luck, but has luck none-the-less, along with a lot of disappointment. It makes him quite human and likable (we’re supposed to forget the wife and son by now).

Narration is by David Drummond who does an excellent job. He has a distinctive and articulate voice that made the story enjoyable for this listener. The production quality is excellent, no complaints. He reads the story well without getting in the way.

If you are looking for some good Sci-Fi soldier action with an intelligent take on alien species, there is a lot to like about Warstrider. It does start a little slow, but give it a chance and you won’t be disappointed.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 14, 2015 |

William H. Keith, Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Vallejo, DorianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The launch of an exciting new military SF series by a popular writer of adventure game novels. After being drafted into the Guard--"groundpounders" consigned to do the dirtiest work of interplanetary warfare--Dev Cameron's unit is sent to do battle with the Xenos, an illogical and terrifying alien race committed to the annihilation of all other galactic species. Original.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

Over twenty years have passed since the events of Warstrider: Symbionts. Contact with the DalRiss and Naga and their technology has radically altered human society, as has the constant struggle between the Hegemony and the rebel Confederation for control over the dozens of human-inhabited planets. But the Hegemony has a new technology that could suppress any resistance to Earth's rule, and meanwhile, Dev Cameron and the DalRiss have discovered a new threat emerging from deep space that could cause the extinction of all life it encounters.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1494508117, 1494508109

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,992,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible