The House on the Cliff (1927)

by Franklin W. Dixon

Series: The Hardy Boys (2)

Teenage detectives Frank and Joe Hardy investigate a supposedly haunted house reported to be the hangout of criminals.

English (19)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (21)
Read the original. ( )
  kylecarroll | Feb 17, 2024 |
Smugglers, a haunted house high on a cliff, danger lurking around every corner, a secret passage, all the Hardys’ pals we came to love as a kid getting involved and helping out, and Fenton Hardy disappearing make this one of the best of the Hardy Boys series. That’s especially true with this edition from Plotworks, whom I’d never heard of. This is the original version, not the re-write, and so a much better read. It states that a few minor slight edits were made, but having read the original 1927 version in the past, they were not noticeable at all, as this reads like the original.

Everything from the nice new cover with a retro feel, brand new and very good illustrations, and a nice font and layout make this a terrific read on Kindle. This particular version is highly recommended, but it was written in a different time and era, and you’ll need to take that into account and not whine about it. Superior to the re-write, though that one is good as well. It’s non-stop action and mystery for the Hardys in this classic from bygone days. I also picked up the first one, The Tower Treasure, and will have to give that one a re-read as well. It’s great to see the original version of the story presented in such a nice way.

Apparently more are in the works, since there is a preview of The Secret of the Old Mill at the end, so there’s much to look forward to in these original editions of The Hardy Boys. Nostalgic stuff. ( )
  Matt_Ransom | Oct 6, 2023 |
I remember that when I was 8 to 10 years old the Hardy Boys seemed pretty cool. Hell, what's not to like about boys with motorcycles and motor boats? Clearly, I didn't have well developed critical skills.

A lot happens in this book that makes very little sense in light of things that happened only a few pages previously. Obviously, the books aren't written for people looking for logical sense, just lots of action, danger, motorcycles and fun. The Hardys have all that, but I think I've matured in the last half century and need a bit more these days. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
I loved it. Brought back memories from my childhood. I listened to the audio book which was a dramatic reading. ( )
  vintage-series-Lisa | Apr 25, 2019 |
*Duplicate Copy* I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. So after my obsession with Nancy Drew started to dwindle (mostly because I had read all the ones I could get my hands on), I moved on to The Hardy Boys because that was the natural next step, duh. Love the Hardy Boys (though they weren't quite as amazing and Nancy Drew and her friends). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

Franklin W. Dixonprimary authorall editionscalculated
McFarlane, LeslieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, Walter S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"So you boys want to help, on another case?"
ISBN 0448089017 is for The Tower Treasure

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,996,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible