The Rape of Belgium: The Untold Story of…

The Rape of Belgium: The Untold Story of World War I (edition 2004)

by Larry Zuckerman (Author)

Member:EricCostello
Title:The Rape of Belgium: The Untold Story of World War I
Authors:Larry Zuckerman (Author)
Info:New York: New York University Press, 2004
Tags:World War I, Revised Library

The Rape of Belgium: The Untold Story of World War I by Larry Zuckerman

An analysis of the treatment of Belgium by the German Empire during World War I. There are definite hints of what would come during World War II, in the way Belgian civilians were treated, but the author does note that some of the more lurid stories that circulated during the war were not true -- a circumstance that likely led, in part, to Belgium not getting full recompense for its injuries in the post-war settlement. Recommended. ( )
  EricCostello | Jun 12, 2019 |
The subject quickly became too awful to read about. ( )
  picardyrose | Jul 27, 2008 |

In August 1914, the German Army invaded the neutral nation of Belgium, violating a treaty that the German chancellor dismissed as a "scrap of paper." The invaders terrorized the Belgians, shooting thousands of civilians and looting and burning scores of towns, including Louvain, which housed the country's preeminent university.

The Rape of Belgium recalls the bloodshed and destruction of the 1914 invasion, and the outrage it inspired abroad. Yet Larry Zuckerman does not stop there, and takes us on a harrowing journey over the next fifty months, vividly documenting Germany's occupation of Belgium. The occupiers plundered the country, looting its rich supply of natural resources; deporting Belgians en masse to Germany and northern France as forced laborers; and jailing thousands on contrived charges, including the failure to inform on family or neighbors. Despite the duration of the siege and the destruction left in its wake, in considering Belgium, neither the Allies nor the history books focused on the occupation, and instead cast their attention almost wholly on the invasion.

Now, The Rape of Belgium draws on a little-known story to remind us of the horrors of war. Further, Zuckerman shows why the Allies refrained from punishing the Germans for the occupation and controversially suggests that had the victors followed through, Europe's reaction to the rise of Nazi Germany might have taken a very different course.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

If bees rode bicycles is whimsical, delightful and a perfect introduction to the fantastical world of poetry for children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible