The Boat (2008)

by Nam Le

Stories that take us from the slums of Colombia to the streets of Tehran; from New York City to Iowa; from a tiny fishing village in Australia to a foundering vessel in the South China Sea-- while taking us to the heart of what is means to be human.

English (33)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
whilst there were stories in here i really, really loved, there were also stories i couldn't even get through. alas. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Captivating collection of short stories framed by a provocative first story about a Vietnamese man enrolled in the Iowa Writers Workshop who is constantly pressured to write "ethnic" fiction and wants to resist. The subsequent stories visit various global locales at different points in history, as if Le is thumbing his nose at the imperative of ethnic representation the protagonist of the first story encounters. I wondered, though, how well a couple of the stories, especially the one set in Colombia, would have held up without that framing story. Still, I liked how all the stories tested their protagonists with impossible but believable moral impasses. ( )
  jalbacutler | Sep 8, 2020 |
I am kicking off Asian Readathon 2020 with this. The story is about an immigrant who escapes the Vietnam War by going on a boat and I'll leave it at that. This review is for the animated book that is online. It is based on the short story "The Boat." The format for this book was amazing! I highly recommend putting on some headphones, clicking on full-screen and auto-scroll, and just enjoying the format this story is told in. It is so immersive and adds a tone to the story that I don't know would have been there if I'd just read it in a print book. I did go into this story not knowing anything about it though, so that may have helped with enjoying the story. I would definitely recommend though if only for its originality. ( )
  jonathanpapz | Jul 2, 2020 |
Read 2015. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 7, 2020 |
(versatile. needs isbn) ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |

Nam Leprimary authorall editionscalculated
Camus-Pichon, FranceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Importunate along the dark

Horizon of immediacies

The flares of desperation rise.

~ W.H. Auden
How strange that when the summons

came I always felt good.

~ Frank Conroy
To --
Ta Thi Xuan Le, my mother
Le Huu Phuc, my father
and Truong and Victor, my brothers
My father arrived on a rainy morning.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847671608, 1847671616

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,237,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible