Pleasure Unbound

by Larissa Ione

Series: Demonica Series (1)

In this dark and intriguing paranormal romance from New York Times bestselling author Larissa Ione, a forbidden romance turns deadly when a slayer is tasked with killing the demon who saved her life. In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . . She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life. Two lovers will dare to risk all. Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul...… (more)
    Eternal Hunger by Laura Wright (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: These two series are quite similar in characters and plot setup... otherworldly brothers with a dreaded genetic legacy.
    Seduced By Shadows: A Novel of the Marked Souls by Jessa Slade (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Both have demons with hearts of gold and dark, angsty romance
    Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank (AngelLocke)
    AngelLocke: This is one of my favorite series. I seriously love her idea of these super hot demons.
    Dark Lover by J. R. Ward (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both books feature paranormal romance and an urban setting.

Demon slayer arrives at the demon hospital causing all kinds of trouble and hot attraction by the big guy in charge. Sometimes we just don't know everything we think we do, and family is not necessarily dictated by blood or race.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
re-read 12/8/17: 3.5 stars

Pleasure Unbound was great. I couldn't put it down. Ione's world was fascinating and engrossing. I loved Eidolon and Tayla, though she did get on my nerves slightly in the beginning. I really liked how Tayla's eyes were opened to the Demon world and when she discovered that not everything is black and white. This is a fantastic start to this series and I can't wait to read the next book. 4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
For it being the first book in the series, Pleasure Unbound, was an amazing start. I hate when I start a series and the first book is good, but it's trying to teach you the world that it's not as amazing. In this book, it teaches you the world and at the same time stays amazing. There's quite a bit goin on. People changing, demons, ass kicking, body harvesting, and lots and lots of "trying to get Tayla to orgasm" Once you read this you will get what I mean.

Tayla is part of the Aegis, which is a society of human warriors dedicated to protecting the world from evil. (I stole that from the glossary in the beginning of the book. LOL) Basically they are humans running around killing every demon they run into. Tayla is a Guardian in the Aegis. They are trained in combat, know weapons, and magic. "Upon induction into The Aegis, all Guardians are presented with an enchanted piece of jewelry bearing the aegis shield, which, among other things, allows for night vision and the ability to see through demon invisibility enchantment." (glossary again) Now what it doesn't say is that they pick what pieve of jewelry it is they wear. Tayla chooses her mothers ring. Her mother was raped and murdered in front of her. Tayla never knew her father.

She gets hurt while fighting a demon and is picked up by the demon EMT's for the demon hospital. Underworld General Hospital, or as Tayla said, UGH! That's where you meet Eidolon. He's the head Doc at UG. He decides to treat Tayla, and that's the start.

Eidolon is a Seminus demon, which is a type of Incubus. Need I say more. He's approaching his S'genesis which is the "final maturation cycle for a Seminus demon. Occurs at one hundred years of age. A post s'genesis male is capable of procreation and possesses the ablity to shapeshift into the male of any demon species." They also loose themselves and become, well demons, who will do ANYTHING, to spread their seed and fulfill their need. Needless to say, which Eidolon's mothers blood running in him, a justice demon, (although no matter what there is NO half breed seminus demons) he understands what is coming to happen to him. The logic in him acknowledges that he will be a monster if he doesn't take a mate. Mates are really the only thing that saves them. A mated Seminus demon can only be with his mate, and his mate only him.

Bum bum bummmmm... So can a chick who's all Buffy everyday, be with a demon? ( )
  RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |
Pleasure Unbound
4 Stars

Synopsis
As a doctor, Eidolon is sworn to heal and protect all who seek help at his hospital but as a Seminus demon, he finds it difficult to cope with his unwanted attraction to Tayla Mancuso, an Aegis slayer taught to hate and destroy all demons. Torn between their duty and passion, Tayla and Eidolon must put aside their differences to confront a dangerous foe that threatens both their worlds.

Review
Third time's a charm.

The world building is problematic at first with an overabundance of demon species. There is an excessive number of characteristics and traits to keep straight, and this makes it extremely difficult to become immersed in the story (hence the fact that I gave up reading twice). However, things improve once the details become more narrow and focused, and the Demonica universe is ultimately very intriguing.

The good/evil dichotomy is compelling and Ione's perspective certainly makes you reevaluate your preconceptions. Nothing in the Demonica world is merely black or white, and good and evil come in all shapes, sizes and species.

A similar pattern emerges with the characters - none are particularly likeable in the beginning as racism and discrimination abound. Nevertheless, as the plot progresses and the personalities evolve, it becomes clear that there is more to the characters than meets the eye.

Tayla is a kick ass heroine who conceals her vulnerabilities and insecurities behind a hard facade and a sarcastic wit. Eidolon is also not as straight laced as he initially appears and exhibits a fierce loyalty both to his brothers and to Tayla. Eidolon and Tayla have an intense and complicated relationship as both must come to terms with their prejudices if they are to combat the various threats against them.

Eidolon's brothers are intriguing as well, Wraith in particular, and I will definitely be continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Wow! Where to start? I was pretty skeptical about reading this book at first. I was worried it was going to be predictable and hokey. This book was anything but! I loved it from page one. It doesn't slowly build up to the interesting parts, but instead, thrusts you into the world of UGH. I had the hardest time putting this book down from the second I picked it up. You can not help but love the characters. I will for sure be reading this book again.....and again. ( )
  ShanMonstar | Nov 19, 2017 |

Ione, LarissaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The demon is a prince of the air and can transform himself into several shapes, delude our senses for a time; but his power is determined, he may terrify us but not hurt.

--Robery Burton, Anatomy of Melancholy
This book is dedicated to every single person who came to the aid of my family after Hurricane Katrina...you were instrumental in getting me back on my feet and writing again. Without you, this book would not have been possilbe. I will never be able to thank you often enough or well enough, but know that I will not forget.

To my parents, who never stopped encouraging me, who supported my dream from the beginning. I love you very much.

To my husband, Bryan, and my son Brennan, who put up with countless nights of hearing, "You're on your own for dinner," while I was under deadline. You mean the world to me.

To Roberta Brown, for being an incredible agent and having faith in my writing, and Melanie Murray for being patient, helpful, and enthusiastic about this project.

To HelenKay Dimon, Alison Kent, Lynn Viehl...you know why.

To my fellow Gnippers, who have been rooting me on for years.

Last but not least, to Karen Boss and Dee Knight, who took time out of their busy schedules to provide last-minute resads and the best advice ever, and Stephanie Tyler, Jaci Burton, and Lara Adrian, for more than I have room to list.
Had Eidolon been anywhere but the hospital, he would have killed the guy pleading for his life before him.

Larissa Ione is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,485,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible