South of the Border, West of the Sun: A…

South of the Border, West of the Sun: A Novel (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel (Translator)

Member:purplemoon
Title:South of the Border, West of the Sun: A Novel
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami (1998)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: In my opinion, a much better book.

English (59)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  All (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (89)
I can't tell if there is any "plot" in this book. If I should tell what this book is about, i'd say it's about a man, the way he loves and his search for a purpose or fullfillment in life.
Haruki Murika has a way beautiful way to describe moods, situations and feelings. This novel tapped somehow in my subconscious and left a taste, like you one time were at some place but you forgot where.
The only thing I don't like is the ending, but this is just a matter of personal taste. ( )
  Geektesse | Dec 10, 2017 |
I've given up on trying to find exactly what's special about Murakami's writing, but it seems to hit the right spot for me almost every time. A quaint, little story similar in theme and scale to Norwegian Wood than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, it tells the story of Hajime (meaning "first" in Japanese), starting from pre-school till the middle-age, his motivations, the circumstances, and of course, the people in his lives. Again, Murakami's strength in portraying the depth of human emotions, and his frank and matter-of-fact style writing complements each other and creates this delightful synergy of a short novel. ( )
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |
Most unlikeable protagonist ever, but good book. ( )
  billt568 | Sep 5, 2017 |
I want to read it all over again. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
When I couldn’t read the whole 900 pages of 1Q84 I got determined to read some entire Murkami’s book and chose South of the Boarder, West of the Sun, only 200 pages. And human questionable sexual behavior was in it again. This time not only casual sex, but also platonic love with sexual fantasies only as well as steamy sexual affairs. For most of the book, the main protagonist – Hajime - was the only well described character of the book. Others were only sketchily mentioned, so I had no one to identify with, no one to feel for, no one to compel me to keep reading. I saw only an unpleasant person, who was hurting his loved ones; not even his regrets of his own reckless sexual behaviour made him more palatable to me. Then, close to the end of the book, Murakami finally portrayed in more depth another character – Hajime’s wife, and her suffering over her husband’s behavior made me think: this book is a clear lesson about how hurtful and inappropriate infidelity, steamy or otherwise, really is. Then again, I’m afraid some people will leave the pages of this book with an impression that casual sex, whether without or with love, is not a big deal. ( )
  parp | Aug 29, 2016 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bandini, DitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bandini, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fennema, ElbrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My birthday is January 4, 1951. The first week of the first month of the first year of the second half of the twentieth century.
Gli esseri umani, a volte, sono destinati, per il solo fatto di esistere, a fare del male a qualcuno.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767398, Paperback)

In South of the Border, West of the Sun, the arc of an average man's life from childhood to middle age, with its attendant rhythms of success and disappointment, becomes the kind of exquisite literary conundrum that is Haruki Murakami's trademark. The plot is simple: Hajime meets and falls in love with a girl in elementary school, but he loses touch with her when his family moves to another town. He drifts through high school, college, and his 20s, before marrying and settling into a career as a successful bar owner. Then his childhood sweetheart returns, weighed down with secrets:
When I went back into the bar, a glass and ashtray remained where she had been. A couple of lightly crushed cigarette butts were lined up in the ashtray, a faint trace of lipstick on each. I sat down and closed my eyes. Echoes of music faded away, leaving me alone. In that gentle darkness, the rain continued to fall without a sound.
Murakami eschews the fantastic elements that appear in many of his other novels and stories, and readers hoping for a glimpse of the Sheep Man will be disappointed. Yet South of the Border, West of the Sun is as rich and mysterious as anything he has written. It is above all a complex, moving, and honest meditation on the nature of love, distilled into a work with the crystal clarity of a short story. A Nat "King" Cole song, a figure on a crowded street, a face pressed against a car window, a handful of ashes drifting down a river to the sea are woven together into a story that refuses to arrive at a simple conclusion. The classic love triangle may seem like a hackneyed theme for a writer as talented as Murakami, but in his quietly dazzling way, he bends us to his own unique geometry. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

A successful Japanese nightclub owner, husband, and father risks everything to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,590,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible