South of the Border, West of the Sun: A…

South of the Border, West of the Sun: A Novel (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel (Translator)

Member:purplemoon
Title:South of the Border, West of the Sun: A Novel
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami (1998)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: In my opinion, a much better book.

English (61)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (91)
Hajime is a self made man. He owns two piano jazz bars has an adoring wife and two wonderful children. But Hajime has a problem he cannot get the image of his close childhood friend Shimamoto from his mind. One day many years later a beautiful elegant lady sits drinking in one of his bars. As he closely scrutinizes this lone customer he suddenly realizes that this is none other than Shimamoto. From that moment on Hajime is totally besotted with her and realizes even though he is happily married, Shimamoto is the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with...So what happens when you have it all and temptation not only arrives but welcomes you openly with warm and loving arms.....

Haruki Murakami in his addictive writing style shows a deep understanding of the human condition, the relationships that we form and the allurements that entice us. He shows a world that is deceptively simple and introduces characters that are always slightly flawed (but surely we are all flawed) . It is therefore very easy for the reader to associate with the players in this wonderfully readable novel...."We were the two of us, still fragmentary beings, just beginning to sense the presence of an unexpected, to- be- acquired reality that would fill us and make us whole"......"Because everyone's seeking the same thing: an imaginary place, their own castle in the air, and their very own special corner of it."....."Things that have form will disappear. But certain feelings stay with us forever."...."Sometimes when I look at you I feel I'm gazing at a distant star"......"The special something I'd found ages ago in that melody was no longer there. It was still a beautiful tune, but nothing more. And I had no intention of lingering over the corpse of a beautiful song.".......

Beautiful lyrical writing and highly recommended. ( )
  runner56 | Dec 25, 2018 |
I thought it was an excellent read, just like everything I've read by Murakami. I just don't know if I'll ever read it again, not by any fault of the book but because of the way it made me feel. I don't think I was in the right place at the time. ( )
  Yafutoma | Jun 26, 2018 |
I can't tell if there is any "plot" in this book. If I should tell what this book is about, i'd say it's about a man, the way he loves and his search for a purpose or fullfillment in life.
Haruki Murika has a way beautiful way to describe moods, situations and feelings. This novel tapped somehow in my subconscious and left a taste, like you one time were at some place but you forgot where.
The only thing I don't like is the ending, but this is just a matter of personal taste. ( )
  Geektesse | Dec 10, 2017 |
I've given up on trying to find exactly what's special about Murakami's writing, but it seems to hit the right spot for me almost every time. A quaint, little story similar in theme and scale to Norwegian Wood than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, it tells the story of Hajime (meaning "first" in Japanese), starting from pre-school till the middle-age, his motivations, the circumstances, and of course, the people in his lives. Again, Murakami's strength in portraying the depth of human emotions, and his frank and matter-of-fact style writing complements each other and creates this delightful synergy of a short novel. ( )
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |
Most unlikeable protagonist ever, but good book. ( )
  billt568 | Sep 5, 2017 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bandini, DitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bandini, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fennema, ElbrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My birthday is January 4, 1951. The first week of the first month of the first year of the second half of the twentieth century.
Gli esseri umani, a volte, sono destinati, per il solo fatto di esistere, a fare del male a qualcuno.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767398, Paperback)

In South of the Border, West of the Sun, the arc of an average man's life from childhood to middle age, with its attendant rhythms of success and disappointment, becomes the kind of exquisite literary conundrum that is Haruki Murakami's trademark. The plot is simple: Hajime meets and falls in love with a girl in elementary school, but he loses touch with her when his family moves to another town. He drifts through high school, college, and his 20s, before marrying and settling into a career as a successful bar owner. Then his childhood sweetheart returns, weighed down with secrets:
When I went back into the bar, a glass and ashtray remained where she had been. A couple of lightly crushed cigarette butts were lined up in the ashtray, a faint trace of lipstick on each. I sat down and closed my eyes. Echoes of music faded away, leaving me alone. In that gentle darkness, the rain continued to fall without a sound.
Murakami eschews the fantastic elements that appear in many of his other novels and stories, and readers hoping for a glimpse of the Sheep Man will be disappointed. Yet South of the Border, West of the Sun is as rich and mysterious as anything he has written. It is above all a complex, moving, and honest meditation on the nature of love, distilled into a work with the crystal clarity of a short story. A Nat "King" Cole song, a figure on a crowded street, a face pressed against a car window, a handful of ashes drifting down a river to the sea are woven together into a story that refuses to arrive at a simple conclusion. The classic love triangle may seem like a hackneyed theme for a writer as talented as Murakami, but in his quietly dazzling way, he bends us to his own unique geometry. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

A successful Japanese nightclub owner, husband, and father risks everything to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,831,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible