Muck and Magic by Sir Michael Morpurgo

Muck and Magic (edition 2019)

by Sir Michael Morpurgo (Author)

191932,975 (3.75)None
This is a collection of rural stories of enormously different kinds. The collection includes contributions by Rachel Anderson, Berlie Doherty, Anthony Horowitz, Ted Hughes, Elizabeth Laird and Michael Morpurgo.
Member:Hemamayigowda
Title:Muck and Magic
Authors:Sir Michael Morpurgo (Author)
Info:Walker Books (2019), 64 pages

Muck and Magic: A Collect of Farm Stories by Michael Morpurgo

In simple prose and glorious illustrations, Michael Morpurgo and Olivia Lomenech Gill show readers how to do their own thing as best as they can and love doing it. Bonny knows she wants to become an Olympic bike rider ... until she meets three horses, and a rather eccentric older woman named Lizzie. Lizzie, the sculptor who mentors young Bonny, is closely modeled after Elisabeth Frink, a British sculptor. Her Times obituary noted the three essential themes in her work as "the nature of Man; the 'horseness' of horses; and the divine in human form". (Wikipedia) ( )
  bookwren | Jun 24, 2021 |
For Liz Frink -MM
To my earliest inspirations: Elisabeth Frink, Sue MacDougall, and my mother Roo -OLG
Until that morning, until my bike ride up into the Dales, I had always known exactly what I was going to do with my life.
Within minutes I was up in the Dales, purring along on my beautiful, magnificent, supreme, wonderful new bike. Alone with the wind and the rain, I was in seventh heaven. I mooed at cows, cawed at crows, bleated at sheep. There were lambs sheltering under the stone walls, and the rain was turning to hail now, but I didn't mind. This was bliss. This was the best. (p. 7)
"Horse muck," she went on, by way of explanation. "Best magic in the world for vegetables. All the soil asks is that we feed it with that stuff, and it'll do whatever we want it to. It's like anything, Bonny - you have to put more in than you take out." (p. 33)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,396,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible