On Guerrilla Gardening: A Handbook for Gardening Without Boundaries

by Richard Reynolds

When Richard Reynolds began gardening secretly in brick planters outside his council block in south London, he had no idea he was part of a global movement of guerilla cells committed to combating neglect in public spaces. This is a book for all citizens who believe that responsbility for our environment lies in our own hands.… (more)

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
Die praktischen Infos sind spannend und die über konkrete Projekte auch - aber die politischen Ansichten von Reynolds fand ich cringeworthy, in einem Kapitel wurden Zierblumen in Londoner Betontrögen tatsächlich verglichen mit Land, auf dem Menschen illegal Essen anbauen, um davon zu leben. Joa, vl mal den Begriff "guerilla" für Stadtverschönerung fallen lassen, statt so unnötige Verbindungen herzukonstruieren. An einer anderen Stelle freut er sich, dass ein Garten Sexarbeiter_innen und Leute die Drogen nehmen aus dem Viertel vertrieben hat, weil es "zu schön wurde" für sie - srsly? :/
Außerdem wären halb so viele Mao-Zitate bei weitem genug gewesen, um mir klar zu machen, dass Reynolds Mao mag und Blümchen lieber als strategische Kriegsführung sieht als als Blümchen. Gähn. ( )
  kthxy | Feb 16, 2017 |
This book is a good primer on the concept of guerrilla gardening, with interesting anecdotes and historical background to boot. Sadly, it is very sparingly illustrated and somewhat lengthy while remaining superficial, thus missing its mark a little: too drab for newbies yet too superficial for wannabes... ( )
  timtom | Jun 10, 2012 |
great to get the idea what it is all about. it sounds like great fun, but one probably needs to learn it by doing, like everything else. so I should be on a lookout for like-minded people, really... ( )
  flydodofly | Jun 13, 2011 |
This is a pretty quick read, but it's got some great information about Guerrilla Gardening. The author is the founder of the website GuerrillaGardening.org and gives an overview of the history of guerrilla gardening, how-tos, etc. It's a pretty good read and has inspired me to think about places in the Boston area that I can beautify with plants. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
Acquired via BookCrossing 03 July 2009 - in my NSS parcel at Unconvention

Another excellent read, this time about the practice of gardening unloved and unclaimed bits of land, planters, verges etc in a covert and mischevious way. A bit like BookCrossing, proponents of the scheme are registered on a website ( www.guerrillagardening.org ) have get-togethers and work to improve their communities. The book is loosely based around guerrilla principles from Mao, Guevara etc, which is quite interesting and funny and gives it something to hang on. I loved the stories of the individual gardeners and gardens and am seriously considering taking a pocketful of sunflower seeds for when I go out on my long Sunday runs...

I will be sharing this one on a bookring so watch out for the announcement. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Dec 13, 2009 |

When Richard Reynolds began planting flowers secretly at night outside his tower block in South London he had no idea he was part of a growing global movement committed to combating the forces of neglect, land shortage and apathy towards public spaces. But his blog GuerrillaGardening.org attracted other guerrillas from around the world to share their experiences of the horticultural front line with him and become a focal point for guerrilla gardeners everywhere. On Guerrilla Gardening is a lively colourful treatise about why people illicitly cultivate land and how to do it. From discretely beautifying corners of Montreal to striving for green communal space in Berlin and sustainable food production in San Francisco, from small gestures of fun in Zurich to bold political statements in Brazil, cultivating land beyond your boundary is a battle many different people are fighting. Unearthed along the way are the movement’s notable historic advances by seventeenth century English radicals, a nineteenth century American entrepreneur and artists in 1970s New York. Reynolds has researched the subject with guerrilla gardeners from thirty different countries and compiles their advice on what to grow, how to cope with adverse environmental conditions, how to seed bomb effectively and to use propaganda to win support.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,127,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible