dismiss

Mistress of the Empire by Raymond E Feist

Mistress of the Empire (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Raymond E Feist

Series: The Empire Trilogy (3), The Riftwar Cycle, Alternate Reading Order (Empire Trilogy, Book 3), The Riftwar Cycle, Publication Order (The Empire Trilogy, 3), The Riftwar Cycle, Chronological Order (The Empire Trilogy, 3)

With magnificent cover art from a Hugo Award-winning artist, this superb conclusion to Feist and Wurts' epic collaboration is destined to attract an even larger audience. Filled with intrigue, magic, and surprising passion, Mistress of the Empire continues the saga of one woman's battle to conquer and transform her world.… (more)
Member:Jacqui_C
Title:Mistress of the Empire
Authors:Raymond E Feist
Info:Grafton (2000), Edition: First edition & printing in this form, Paperback, 536 pages

Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist (1992)

English (23)  French (2)  All languages (25)
The third in the trilogy started out so strong that I wanted to rage, weep, and throw the book against the wall.

I really hate it when books tear me to shreds. The tragedy in the opening was a real nightmare for me and the characters in here, but more importantly, it drove a lot of the massive change to come.

We are, after all, sitting on a trilogy that completely upends the entire society. Civil War, massive change for the Cho-Ji, and even the Council who are above the law, the High Magicians, and the Emperor will have to bow before it.

Moreover, I should mention that this particular trilogy places fine emphasis on showing every single step, every important building block from a young girl just trying to save her house, to become indispensable to the Emperor, to become The Power of the whole land. It's impressive, and no doubt. This isn't some simple tale. It's all about politics, power bases, economics, spy networks, mortal enemies, revenge, deception, and total social upheaval. So yeah, it's impressive as hell.

My only complaint was for a few of the slow bits. And I wasn't all that interested in the spymaster's love life. It might have been something cool but it just didn't turn out all that great for me. *shrug* But everything else was fantastic! :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Derde deel uit deze sub-reeks.

Erg veel verdriet in dit boek.
Mara wordt achtervolgd door drama, rampen en tegenslagen. De eerste is al zo heel erg, dat Mara een aantal ernstige misstappen doet. Daarna veel politieke intriges, waarbij het me soms duizelde van de namen van clans, huizen en hun verbindingen. De hele politieke wereld van het Keizerrijk is mij nu, na de trilogie gelezen te hebben nog steeds niet goed duidelijk.

Het begin van dit boek maakte gelijk al een diepe indruk. De impact die het had op de personages en het verhaal waren heel erg groot. Verder in het boek nog zo'n tragische gebeurtenis. Gedurende een 100-tal pagina's was er genoeg actie om me in het verhaal te houden. Het einde van het boek was al erg voorspelbaar. Hoop in de komende boeken nog wel wat meer te lezen over de nieuwe keizer en zijn familie.

Een punt van kritiek is dat er teveel plots in het verhaal zitten, die misschien beter tot hun recht hadden gekomen in een eigen boek. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
Mistress of the Empire is the final book in The Empire Trilogy. As I’ve mentioned before, I first read this about 20 years ago. I remembered very little of it, particularly from the later books, just that I had really loved it at the time. My reaction was similar this time around. It was a great read.

I had a bit of a rough start with this book, and struggled a little through the first 100 pages or so. Mara took some actions early on that I didn’t like. I don’t think her actions were unrealistic given the circumstances and her personality, but I found them frustrating to read about and I missed her more calculated choices from the earlier books. Once that started to turn back around, my interest was caught again. I thought the book grew steadily more exciting as it approached the end.

This was a satisfying conclusion to the story, and I really enjoyed how everything worked out politically. I thought the last little bit at the very end was a bit too convenient, but I didn’t necessarily dislike it, I was just a little apathetic about it. I loved seeing the progression of Mara’s character as she re-examined her culture and her own decisions throughout the story, although there was one decision I wished she had thought back upon with regret at least once. I enjoyed all the political intrigue, and the occasional battle scenes were also written well and fun to read. It’s not an uproariously funny series, but there are nice bits of humor sprinkled throughout that made me laugh. There are several great characters, some poignant moments, and difficult choices that I thought added depth to the story. I’m rating this at 4.5 stars, but rounding down to 4 on Goodreads, mostly due to my difficulties at the beginning.

I want to elaborate on my above comment about the decision Mara should have thought back upon with regret. I’ll have to put that in spoiler tags:
Mara spent quite a bit of time regretting her part in Bunto’s death, and I do think that was something she should regret. However, I thought something that she should have regretted even more was the time in the first book when she had several slaves killed for nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and hearing information she didn’t want others to know. Bunto at least had some role in his own downfall and was a generally scummy person, but the slaves were innocent so far as we knew and represented several lives lost. I enjoyed seeing Mara’s views on honor and freedom evolve over the series, but I think it would have added some weight to her newfound convictions about slavery to see her remember and regret that particular decision. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Oct 10, 2019 |
The Empire Trilogy #3
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
Mara relaxes her guard and tragedy strikes. In her grief she swears vengeance and makes some big mistakes. She faces battles on more than one front, while managing her grief.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Wow this activities it's really important for business owners and customers whether a fresh mind then customers will be perfect get the information about your business, industry information through SMS and i am also Owner of my business i have a Business SMS service for business to promote. And more information please visit there. I think you should to check this one this is mostly important for businesses to promoted! well thanks you keep working you are great doing great work keep more sharing :)
added by BeckySpencer | editBecky

Mistress of the Empire is a fantasy novel by American writers Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. It is the third and final book in the Empire Trilogy and was published in 1992!
bullet force games
added by roland8 | editWiki

Raymond Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Kyung and John Conning,
with appreciation for giving us
insights and friendship
The morning sun shone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible