Split Infinity (Apprentice Adept) by Piers…

Split Infinity (Apprentice Adept) (original 1980; edition 1987)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Apprentice Adept (1)

After escaping assassination on Pronto, Stiles finds himself on Phaze, where another power is set on destroying him.
Member:BiblioCave
Title:Split Infinity (Apprentice Adept)
Authors:Piers Anthony
Info:Del Rey (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

Split Infinity by Piers Anthony (Author) (1980)

A touch of mystery, fantasy, AND science fiction. Seems to consider the question: what is the line between science fiction and fantasy? Not a deep book, but the main character does a great job of drawing you into the story. ( )
  SirCrash | Jan 13, 2020 |
Piers Anthony claims to never had "writer's block"...he powers through in his formulaic way (write xx chapters today, proof xx chapters of galleys later, etc.) I like to read his stuff, but my read on his formula is this: imaginative and engaging first book in a series; lots of fillers with his rarely subtle misogyny thrown in; and eventually, deterioration of what showed promise. I liked this the first time around, though never made it through his entire series, but still grabbed it for a quick nostalgic read as part of my Year of Nostalgic Rereads. I did and do think it imaginative, fun, and engaging. Fortunately, the writing is as most of his other works so simple (and the humor as always, juvenile)that it is a very quick read. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Definitely an interesting book, jumping between two worlds. A mixing of genres that definitely hold opposite ends of a creative spectrum.

There are many times I thought Stile a boob, but then it is a prototype for some of Anthony's characters. I had to give him the benefit of not knowing the one world at all, though it didn't salvage his status in my mind. I'll admit I had trouble with the series earlier, but one has to dig to find the proper theme.

From a writer's standpoint, I see places where it can be tightened, better executed. Too many of the characters feel flat, even the secondary ones. I'll keep reading, because I want to see the next book go for more punch, but I'm not hopeful anymore... ( )
  gilroy | Jul 27, 2015 |
Substance: Anthony does a nice job of switching between a science fiction setting and a fantasy milieu. The basic story is intriguing, but is marred by some conceptual inanities and clichéd situations. However, he does a good job promoting sound ethics, such as loyalty, honesty, and responsibility.
(As with most popular fiction today, sex is just a perk, not a problem, although the ensuing relationship difficulties are fairly treated.)

Style: Anthony (as in many of his books) writes on the lexical level of ages 11-15, but his unnecessary nudity and sexuality (although not in graphic detail) makes it unsuitable for that age group.
PS Riding a horse in the nude is bound to be very uncomfortable. ( )
1 vote librisissimo | Jun 15, 2015 |
I have residual affection for this, which was a teen favourite, but it is unreadable as an adult. The stilted language and casual sexism are jarring, as are unlikely images such as a female robot whose breasts are 'perfect' (visually and to touch, of course), but can be removed - and resemble bed pans when held upside down. You what now? One to read only if you can switch off logic and offence triggers. ( )
1 vote imyril | May 11, 2015 |

Anthony, PiersAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barbieri, ChrisMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

He walked with the assurance of stature, and most others deferred to him subtly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,603,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible