The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie…

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

16,9981161226 (4.15)1 / 1176
As London is emerging from the shadow of World War II, writer Juliet Ashton discovers her next subject in a book club on Guernsey--a club born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi after its members are discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island.
Member:CarolinaBasBleu
Title:The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Authors:Mary Ann Shaffer
Other authors:Annie Barrows
Info:The Dial Press (2008), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:Historical Fiction, World War II, letters

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (2008)

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (khuggard, DetailMuse, Cecilturtle, helgagrace, Sodapop, BasilBlue, kraaivrouw)
    khuggard: Another tale about book lovers who come together through letters, with the same post-war England setting.
    Sodapop: A Non-fiction story about book lovers told via their letters.
    BasilBlue: A book about books and booklovers for booklovers that incidentally has a real flavor of the late 40s and early 50s.
    kraaivrouw: Another book about people who connect via their love of books and reading.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another deeply affecting, beautiful and heartbreaking story of books, love, small kindness and resilience during World War II.
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (Anonymous user, mysterymax)
    Anonymous user: Both novels reflect on World War II from small, seaside towns, one an island in Europe, the other a small town in Cape Cod. The female leads are unique and interesting and are surrounded by great small town people.
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (cransell)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: The writing styles and the authors' love for the written word connect both period pieces in my mind even though their plots are extremely different.
    The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (MyriadBooks)
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Going in to the bookmobile to apologize for the disturbance created by one of her corgis, Queen Elizabeth II feels it would only be polite to check out a book. When she returns it, she checks out another . . . and then another. One of her pages becomes her abettor in the matter of securing books and reading them. Thus begins an amusing but also thought-provoking saga of how reading can change a person's habits and even outlook.… (more)
    The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G. B. Edwards (jill123, BasilBlue)
    jill123: Though they are different in style and tone, both books are set in the Channel Islands during the Nazi Occupation. I enjoyed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I found Ebenezer Le Page to be an absolutely wonderful book. More complex and interesting than the Potato Peel Society.… (more)
    BasilBlue: Although written in a more elegantly sparse style, this book covers much the same territory, geographically and emotionally.
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes of a journalist discovering the layers of secrets around a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Limelite)
    Limelite: Also an epistolary novel. Also about how community can triumph over debilitating circumstance.
    Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole (rosylibrarian)
    Miss Buncle by D. E. Stevenson (wandering_star)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (nancyewhite)
    The Dig by John Preston (catherinestead)
    A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books deal with the occupation of Guernsey by the Nazis.
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: This YA novel, set in 1936, features 16-year-old Sophie, a royal orphan growing up with her siblings and cousin in a shabby castle on island kingdom of Montmaray, somewhere off the coast of England. The island's strategic location draws the interest of the Nazis.… (more)
    War on the Margins by Libby Cone (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: This novel also covers the effects of the German occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II.
    The German Occupation of Jersey, 1940 - 1945 - Notes on the General Conditions. How the Population Fared by Ralph Mollet (KayCliff)

English (1,120)  French (17)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (1,165)
I have done this book great injustice by reading it over a very long period. In fact, I was halfway through it when I left it for over three months. In the interim I left Cape Town and moved to New York, started a new job and was trying to come to terms with homesickness and living in the big city. If it wasn't for these circumstances it could easily be one of those treats to be gobbled up in one sitting.

The story about books, friends and triumph of the human soul against adversity. It is at times funny, sad and very wise. No wonder, the woman who wrote it was in her seventies and had a long-life dream of writing a book. This became her first and only novel because she became ill with cancer before she was able to complete it and her niece completed writing it. Mary Ann Shaffer herself died a few months before her book was published.

We meet the characters through a series of letters exchanged over one year or so, in the 1940s right after the war. The island of Guernsey is slowly recovering from the devastation of the German invasion. Its people are trying to pick up the pieces of their lives. When they become the subject of interest for a young writer named Juliet. She becomes so involved in their story that she comes and visits the island.
The characters and their intertwined story are charmingly revealed through their letters, and the dominant voice throughout is that of Juliet the writer reporting back to her publisher and friend Sidney Stark. The story of the islanders revolves also around the character of one Elizabeth McKenna, absent from the island when Juliet arrived, but a dominant presence in the lives of all her friends and the caring they bestowed on her daughter in her absence.

A little gem of a book, and the temptation is strong to read it over again as soon as it is finished. ( )
  moukayedr | Sep 5, 2021 |
Made me laugh and reflect. ( )
  KittyCatrinCat | Aug 29, 2021 |
I could get through only a few pages. The format is regrettable. ( )
  KENNERLYDAN | Jul 11, 2021 |
Reminded me of Isle of Passion by Laura Restrepo. Isolated on an island, the story revolves around the heroicism of resisters against the Germans during WWII. The story is told through a series of letters between a writer and her friends and publisher. Not much happens, but vivid characters and emotional story lines. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
The book was good, I liked that it was set post WWII. But I just don't think the letter format is something I'd care to read again. It's not my style of book. ( )
  er_malley | Jul 10, 2021 |
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," written by the late Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children's author Annie Barrows, stays within modest bounds, but is successful in ways many novels are not. This book won't change your life, but it will probably enchant you. And sometimes that's precisely what makes fiction worthwhile.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society commemorates beautiful spirits who pass through our midst and hunker undercover through brutal times. Shaffer's Guernsey characters step from the past radiant with eccentricity and kindly humour, a comic version of the state of grace. They are innocents who have seen and suffered, without allowing evil to penetrate the rind of decency that guards their humanity.

You could be skeptical about the novel's improbabilities and its sanitized portrait of book clubs (doesn't anyone read trashy thrillers?), but you'd be missing the point. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a sweet, sentimental paean to books and those who love them.

Shaffer, Mary Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

21 St. James's Place
London S.W.1
England

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder. We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food. Susan managed to procure ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue. If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring about the country. Do you suppose that a lavish bonus could spur her on to butter? Let's try it—you may deduct the money from my royalties.
Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books. - Isola Pribby
Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life. - Isola Pribby
Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true. - Juliet
I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with. - Juliet
I think you learn more if you're laughing at the same time. - John Booker

Beginning at the end of WW2, this book is told through the form of letter between writer Juliet Ashton and her friends. Juliet initially receives a letter from a man on the island of Guernsey asking for more books. She becomes so in love with stories and descriptions of life in Guernsey that she decides to go herself. Through the letters she sends home and the letters from her new friends the stories of people's lives are revealed. This book points out that the lives of people were more important than the formality of the writing.
In post-war Britain
friendships are forged through a shared
love of literature.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Ann Shaffer's book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,203,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible