The Wisdom of Forgiveness: Intimate Journeys and Conversations (2004)

by Dalai Lama XIV

The most intimate conversation yet with the world's most famous holy man. When Victor Chan first visited the Dalai Lama in the 1970s, he assumed that, since he is a member of the race responsible for destroying Tibet, the Dalai Lama would treat him with disdain. Instead, they developed a close relationship, out of which Victor was able to pose some of the most personal questions ever asked of or answered by the Dalai Lama. From the conversations in The Wisdom of Forgiveness, we discover under which circumstances the Dalai Lama believes he could be capable of violence; how the experience of profound spiritual insight feels in the body and mind; how he learned to love those who anyone else would consider an enemy; what his personal fears are; what the heart of a holy man looks like in medical tests; and how a highly developed spiritual person experiences pain. The Wisdom of Forgivenesstakes these two friends on journeys from India to Ireland; from the former Czechoslovakia to a pilgrimage to Buddhist holy sites. If you've ever wondered why we love the Dalai Lama so much, this book makes it clear by placing us in the presence of a great being.… (more)

Compared to the other book of his I read (The Art of Happiness at Work , which I have to add here yet. I really liked that one.), this one was really a letdown. It was not bad; it just was not as engaging. Lukewarm would be a good way to describe it. I think I was expecting more of the Dalai Lama's points of view and thoughts and less on the biographical/travel details. Anyways, I am sure the book would be good for some people, but I would probably recommend other works by the Dalai Lama rather than this one. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
This is a collection of "Intimate Conversations & Journeys" with the Dalai Lama by Victor Chan.

It's about compassion, humanity, forgiveness, and mindful thought. There are parts of conversations with Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandala, and Oprah.

Through it all, there is the underlying friendship and conversations between the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan, which was how this book came to be written. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
A view of the Dalai Lama as a man and a long-practicing monk, the only two ways he characterizes himself. Victor Chan, the co-author, tells the story of his visits and conversations with the Dalai Lama. Overall, the book is about a man with deep compassion and immeasurable forgiveness. ( )
  wrk1 | Jan 15, 2014 |
I tend to be pretty wary of the "The Dalai Lama discusses Buddhism and Your Workplace Problems/Anger Management Issues/Fear of Committment" books, because they've always struck me as being more about big $$$ instead of Buddhist philosophy. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised by this volume, the content of which is only tangentially related to its title. For the most part Wisdom is a series of slice-of-life vingettes of the Dalai Lama's travels and everyday routines interspersed with transcriptions of Chan's conversations with His Holiness.

I commend Chan on his decision to transcribe these conversations verbatim, instead of "correcting" the Dalai Lama's English (a la Laird's The Story of Tibet). Thanks to this decision, readers get a sense of the man as a unique individual with his own thoughts and outlook instead of some smiling Buddhist mascot dispensing New Agey platitudes. This in turn stands the book in good stead during its culminating chapters, in which Chan describes the Dalai Lama's brush with a severe illness contracted during a pilgrimage to India; even though readers are well aware (given Wisdom's publication date) that His Holiness recovered, these passages are still tense and moving.

Unfortunately, Chan does employ one of my biggest pet peeves in [Name of Famous Person] with [Name of Not Famous Person] books; namely, instead of frankly acknowledging his position of access as the Dalai Lama's coauthor, he pretends like he's simply some cosmically lucky Everyman who somehow happens to constantly meet with a series of happy coincidences. "There I was, minding my own business in the hotel lobby when Desmond Tutu just happened to drop by and invite me to sit with him at a dinner attended by the world's living Nobel Laureates. Who could ever have seen that coming?!" Uh, your publicist, perhaps?

Still, this is a small quibble in one of the better books with the Dalai Lama that overall manages to stay clear of the tendency to "cutesify" its subject. Readers looking for insight into the Dalai Lama's mind could do far worse.
  Trismegistus | Jan 24, 2009 |
Great insight into a man revered for his work in promoting peace, not only among peope and nations but provides strategies for achieving peace of mind. Some concepts in this process hard to fathom. ( )
  youngerrlc | Dec 16, 2007 |

Dalai Lama XIVprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, VictorAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Virtor Chan Wrde de Dalai Lama in de jaren /rtcntig kennen. Vamxege y.ijn
Chinese afkomst verv, achtte hij een koele ontvangst, n.aar het tegendeel bleek waar. Zij werden ^ randen en maakten samen een boeddhistische petgrim-itoehl en vele reben: naar India, Ierland on hel voormalige Tsjed.o-S!ovakije.
lü O, i,m« TW. ha .«jpw lerrn wc de Dalai F ama van dichtbij kennen. Daarbij stelt. Clwn hem vele -> ragen. Zou de Dalai Lama onder bepaalde omstandigheden /ijn locvltieht nemen lot geweld? I loc roeit het als een spiritueel in/icht xkh in lichaam en geest openbaart?Wat rijn *ijn persoonlijke
ongslen?
Wc ontdekken dat de jonge Dalai Lama «eiren.- driltbuien had en dal hij het nog steeds niet kan nalaten even aan andermans baardje te trekken. Maar het is jukt xijii innemende persoonlijkheid uaardoor het lijkt dat hij 70 gemakkelijk
kan vergeven.
Te.nzin Gyatso, 7,ijr,e Heiligheid di- Veertiende Ualai Lama, is de spiritueel leider van net Tibetaanse volk. Zijn on ver n, oei b are inspanningen voor de nienseiireehten en wereldvrede hebhen hem internationale erkenning opgeleverd, l lij ontving de YValk-übergAward, de Alhert Sehwilzer A«ard en de Nobelprijs mor do vrede

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible