The Summoning

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers (1), Otherworld (1)

After fifteen-year-old Chloe starts seeing ghosts and is sent to Lyle House, a mysterious group home for mentally disturbed teenagers, she soon discovers that neither Lyle House nor its inhabitants are exactly what they seem, and that she and her new friends are in danger.

English (225)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (228)
Started off slow but got interesting towards the end. First in a series. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
NOT REALLY SCARRY OR SPOOKY, BUT NOT VERY SCI FI

supernatural powers start to show again now that she has gotten her period
She is put into an asylum and discovers she can see ghosts, but remembers that she saw them when she was very young.
This asylum was previously used to house people with powers, but for experimentation.
Mental health
Small crush
Discovering her gift which may be suppressed even though it is very powerful for someone her age ( )
  VadersMorwen | Jul 29, 2021 |
It took a loooong time for me to get into this book. Like, half way before it stopped being world building and got into the story. The story itself is fine, but not worth all that build-up. I don't think I'll be continuing this series.

Oh, this is set in Buffalo, and there's nothing in the book that screams "Oh my god, the author knows nothing about Buffalo!" Frankly, it could have been set anywhere for as much as the city played any part in the plot. Perhaps it comes more into play in the following books. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
After the HUGE disappointment that TWO WAY STREETS provided, I needed something to wash away the bitter taste it left in my mouth and I thought that, maybe something non-romantic, out of this world and a little spooky would be satisfying so I picked up a Mrs. Armstrong book and boy how much I was right!

Fast paced and very well written, this book was a breath of fresh air, all those supernatural kids with awesome powers (I always had a thing for pyromania!) and the big mystery behind Lyle House reminded me a little of "The Pretender" minus the genius thing.

What bothered me a bit was the ending, I was waiting for a major cliffhanger that would knock the breath out of me and would make me anxiously waiting for the next book. However, I'm looking forward reading it. ( )
  Ash600 | Mar 19, 2021 |
LOVED this book, read the second installment and looking forward to the third! ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
The Summoning is Kelley Armstrong's (author of The Otherworld Series) debut young adult series book. The teenagers in this book, live in the same universe as the characters in The Otherworld Series, but we get a younger perspective of the already familiar world.

I absolutely love Armstrong's books and this one's no different. Armstrong recaptured her writing style, but for a much younger audience. For those who have read the other novels in The Otherworld Series, you can step right back into this world where you know supernatural creatures exist and you can just go along for the ride as Chloe discovers that the world around her is not as "normal" as she thinks.

Chloe is a great character to read. I think she identifies with a majority of teenagers in the fact that she doesn't feel like she fits with the "in crowd". She is strong and independent and really spreads her wings when she finds out that it's okay not to be "normal".

This "coming of age" novel is very fast paced and fun for all ages. It was really great to see how these teens dealt with their powers at a critical point in their mental and physical developments... and I thought puberty was hard!

I highly recommend this book for all Kelley Armstrong's fans and also for those who want to begin a journey into the world of the supernatural.

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechrer, CarrieCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Julia, for enduring my questions on teen life without too much eye-rolling
Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement.
He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
"Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,395,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible