The Summoning: Book 1 of the Darkest Powers…

The Summoning: Book 1 of the Darkest Powers Series (edition 2011)

by Kelley Armstrong (Author)

Series: Darkest Powers (1), Otherworld (1)

After fifteen-year-old Chloe starts seeing ghosts and is sent to Lyle House, a mysterious group home for mentally disturbed teenagers, she soon discovers that neither Lyle House nor its inhabitants are exactly what they seem, and that she and her new friends are in danger.
Member:MyssLetalis
Title:The Summoning: Book 1 of the Darkest Powers Series
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:Atom (2011), 400 pages

Work Information

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

English (230)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (233)
A lot of fun to read, and parts of it were genuinely scary, or creepy at the very least. I had trouble getting into it at first. It felt a little weird, maybe because I haven't read a real YA book in awhile. But it started to pickup mid-way through.

This is one of those books where you are almost forced to read the next in the series, because you are left hanging in the middle of the story. I am not talking about a sudden cliff hanger after some sort of resolution. The majority of this book is back story, and set up for the remaining books. The main story seems to start at the last few chapters and then bam the book is over. I guess I will have to read the next one, but I'm not complaining too much. Overall this was a pretty enjoyable read. ( )
  yeffin | Jul 15, 2024 |

yeffin | Jul 13, 2024 |
Following the worst five beginning chapters I ever read, a thrilling mystery unraveled. I'm glad I pressed on through the beginning. The ending was a little more like the end of an episode than the end of a novel, but I really got attached to the characters and am excited to see what's going to happen. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 8, 2024 |
Surprisingly, I found myself enthralled by THE SUMMONING, the first in Kelley Armstrong’s young adult paranormal trilogy, the Darkest Powers. I say ‘surprisingly’ because I have never really gotten into her Otherworld books; I’ve read them, but they’re not insta-buys for me like other series.

THE SUMMONING (and sequels) are set within her Otherworld universe, and supposedly that would be recognizable to any Otherworld fan. Armstrong makes a point on her website to say that she didn't dumb down THE SUMMONING just because it was for a younger audience—she merely removed sexual situations and the more gruesome violent elements of the adult Otherworld books.

Chloe is your average teenager—in both her concerns and reactions. I wouldn’t call her vain, but she has normal concerns about her self-image versus that of her peers. I worried over her friends at first, or one in particular, but once the paranormal part of the plot catches speed that’s not an issue. That’s another thing—this is a paranormal series, but for a good portion of it there’s enough doubt to make me wonder if Chloe isn’t so much seeing ghosts as having a mental breakdown.

I enjoyed the interactions once she reached Lyle House. Characters, at first, play to stereotype (Victoria the snobby Queen Bee, Simon the nerdy asian kid, Liz the flighty airhead and such), but as things progress, facades are torn away and reality sets in.

The most interesting part for me was when Chloe would ‘see’ things from the perspective of a director shooting a film (her main ambition in life). When things became too weird or tense or horrifying, she would take a step back and say something like ‘What would the heroine in a horror movie do now?’ and gauge her reaction based on that. Perhaps not the most full proof method, but it does help her keep calm in some otherwise terrifying situations.

The second book, THE AWAKENING, is due out soon, with a third book already underway. I am looking forward to seeing more of what happens to Chloe and her friends and learning the secrets that Lyle House has been hiding. ( )
  lexilewords | Dec 28, 2023 |
Really enjoyed this book, fascinating story! ( )
  justgeekingby | Jun 6, 2023 |
The Summoning is Kelley Armstrong's (author of The Otherworld Series) debut young adult series book. The teenagers in this book, live in the same universe as the characters in The Otherworld Series, but we get a younger perspective of the already familiar world.

I absolutely love Armstrong's books and this one's no different. Armstrong recaptured her writing style, but for a much younger audience. For those who have read the other novels in The Otherworld Series, you can step right back into this world where you know supernatural creatures exist and you can just go along for the ride as Chloe discovers that the world around her is not as "normal" as she thinks.

Chloe is a great character to read. I think she identifies with a majority of teenagers in the fact that she doesn't feel like she fits with the "in crowd". She is strong and independent and really spreads her wings when she finds out that it's okay not to be "normal".

This "coming of age" novel is very fast paced and fun for all ages. It was really great to see how these teens dealt with their powers at a critical point in their mental and physical developments... and I thought puberty was hard!

I highly recommend this book for all Kelley Armstrong's fans and also for those who want to begin a journey into the world of the supernatural.

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechrer, CarrieCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Julia, for enduring my questions on teen life without too much eye-rolling
Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement.
He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
"Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,766,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible