How to Write a Mystery by Larry Beinhart

How to Write a Mystery

by Larry Beinhart

I generally like the work of Larry Beinhart, both his fiction and non-fiction, so I might be a bit prejudiced.

The book is for the most part written with wit and insight, and he gives interesting critiques of some of the more famous mystery/thriller writers. Not sure why he omitted James Ellroy, though.

Although some portions are the expected filler blah blah which is rather intuitive, the bulk of it does have something to say. Obviously, this book is geared toward those who would like to write a mystery, so I would have a hard time recommending it to anyone else. but for me, I'm glad I bought it. In fact, I might give it a re-read. ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |

WHODUNIT? YOUDUNIT!
So you want to write a mystery. There's more to it than just a detective, a dead body, and Colonel Mustard in the drawing room with the candlestick. Fortunately, Larry Beinhart--Edgar Award-winning author of You Get What You Pay For, Foreign Exchange, and American Hero--has taken a break from writing smart, suspenseful thrillers to act as your guide through all the twists and turns of creating the twists and turns of a good mystery.
Drawing on advice and examples from a host of the best names in mystery writing--from Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane to Scott Turow and Thomas Harris--plus some of his own prime plots, Larry Beinhart introduces you to your most indispensable partners in crime:
*Character, plot, and procedure
* The secrets to creating heroes, heroines, and villains ("All writers draw upon themselves and their experience. While the whole of yourself might not be capable of being either a serial killer or an FBI agent, there are parts in each of us that are capable of almost anything.")
* The fine art of scripting the sex scene
*The low-down on violence ("A crime novel without violence is like smoking pot without inhaling, sex without orgasm, or a hug without a squeeze." )
*And much more!
From the opening hook to the final denouement, Larry Beinhart takes the mystery out of being a mystery writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

Beinhart, an Edgar Award-winning author, covers the fine points of character, plot, and procedure.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,076,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible