Fine Just the Way It Is by Annie Proulx

Fine Just the Way It Is (2009)

by Annie Proulx

Series: Wyoming Stories (3)

English (28)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All (33)
As the second collection I have read by her, it was nice to see an expanded range of topics this time around. All of the stories are enjoyable for their completely human protagonists and the unpredictable nature of the plotting. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
This story collection has the feel of the answer to the literary agent's query, "What else have you got in your files?" And Proulx coming up with this bunch. The only cheerful stories are the two in which the devil plots up amusing and wicked ways to make lives more unhappy and another one about a hungry sagebrush. Another story is set thousands of years ago and is about a buffalo hunt -- maybe the best thing in the book as far as I'm concerned. Every single one of the rest of the stories addresses just how tough life can be for those born poor or impulsive or not terribly bright or into a family with careless or cruel parents . . . and it all plays out in rural Wyoming with whatever particularities of weather and scenery of the place and with its own special flavor of unforgiving viciousness for the hapless, helpless, and unlucky. I confess I skimmed the last story, grasping the gist; from page one it was evident that it would be a recital of cruelty and misery dogging a perfectly innocent little girl through her life and I was not mistaken. I have no doubt, because of what I know about Proulx, that the stories here are all based around a kernel of truth, something she heard or read about, but it is an unbalanced collection, just too relentless; Proulx's humor which balances her novels, is absent here even though the writing, as ever, is brilliant. ***1/2 ( )
  sibyx | Jun 4, 2016 |
Another unusual group of stories! Gloom, despair, and unhappy endings! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
This is Annie Proulx's third collection of Wyoming stories. While there are some really good stories in here, I didn't think it was quite up to par with the earlier collections. At least two of these stories were duds, in my opinion, and seemed out of place. You will probably know which two I'm talking about if you choose to read this. But for a writer as consistently good as Proulx, I can easily look past a couple of unexceptional stories here and there. Still highly recommended. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
One of the best audiobooks I have had the pleasure of listening to in a long time. Ann Proulx's stories are funny and heartbreaking and almost shocking in their authenticity. Will Patton is the perfect narrator, sure-handed and understated. Cannot recommend this audiobook enough. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Feb 18, 2014 |

Annie Proulxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willemse, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Mellowhorn Home was a rambling one-story log building identifying itself as western–the furniture upholstered in fabrics with geometric “Indian” designs, lampshades sporting buckskin fringe.

Pioneer homesteaders facing drought and debt give way to modern-day hippies trying to lose themselves in the vanishing wilderness and real estate developers out to make a buck-unforgettable characters in nine stories that range in tone from crude cowboy humor to heartbreaking American tragedy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible