Città di carta

Città di carta

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.
Member:casa_zanin
Title:Città di carta
Authors:
Info:Rizzoli

Work Information

Paper Towns by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (chwiggy)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: Dnas les deux on retrouve des locaux plus ou moins fictifs dans lesquels les personnages trouvent l'amour
    The Punk and the Professor by Billy Lawrence (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)

English (525)  Spanish (8)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (540)
Fluctuating between 2 and 3 stars. I really liked some of the ideas in the book, but the characters mostly annoyed or angered me. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
This book felt like a combination between Thirteen Reasons Why and The Catcher in the Rye. The main character, Quentin, has been obsessed with his friend Margo for basically all his life. They go their separate ways in high school until Margo gets him to help her in an 11 step plan to get pay back against the people who hurt her during high school. Then, Margo goes missing. Quentin begins finding clues that Margo has left for him to find her. He and his friends create a quest to find her and bring her home safely. They skip out on graduation when they realize Margo must be hiding in a Paper Town, a fake town, and find her in Agloe, New York. Earlier in the book, when they climb to the top of the SunTrust building because Margo magically has connections with the security guard, she mentions how Orlando is a Paper Town. This town was actually created to stop mapmakers from copying other maps. The boys know they have to find her before noon on May 29th. Part three of the novel is an hour by hour countdown of them taking a roadtrip to New York until they arrive. When Quentin, Ben, and Radar find her, she was surprised at them! It turns out Margo didn't want to be found, the idea of her that Quentin came up with didn't match who she actually was which reminds me of Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think young readers will love the book until the ending. ( )
  sarahlynnb | Jul 29, 2022 |
The first and third part of the book was superb! It's really an easy and fun to read. :)

I really hope I can find a copy of this. ( )
  Emmie199x | Jul 25, 2022 |
Quentin has been friends with Margo Roth Spiegelman since childhood. By high school, they had grown apart – she was the most popular girl in school, while he hung out with the band nerds. However, he never stopped having a crush on her. One night, she climbs through his bedroom window and convinces him to take her on a wild ride, playing pranks on her cheating boyfriend and other friends who have wronged her. The next day she’s gone. Quentin won’t stop looking for her – did she run away or did something bad happen to her?

Margo Roth Spiegelman is a damaged, enigmatic girl that reminded me of Alaska from Green’s Looking for Alaska. However, Margo wasn’t nearly as developed as Alaska. When she shows up at Quentin’s window, we know almost nothing about her, and I didn’t feel like we learned much about her later. Quentin is in love with her but I never understood why since I didn’t get to know her that well. A few flashbacks to her at school or something might have helped. I felt like Quentin and his friends were developed more than her, which is good.

The road trip that Quentin and his friends embark on to find Margo is ridiculous but in a good way. I think teens will find it funny and also wish that they could go on a trip like it. It exhausted me just reading about it! Margo leaves behind her copy of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman and Quentin refers to it often. I think Whitman lovers will appreciate that. I thought of my mom while I was reading Paper Towns – she loved Whitman.

Even though this wasn’t my favorite John Green novel, it’s written by John Green so it was still pretty darn good. Recommended. ( )
  mcelhra | Jul 14, 2022 |
"Margo always loved mysteries. And in everything that came afterward, I could never stop thinking that maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one."

As for Orlando, Florida, “You see how fake it all is. It’s not even hard enough to be made out of plastic. It’s a paper town.” Hence, the title of the book. This definitely was not for me. My 14-year-old daughter asked me to read it, so I did - for her. I'm glad she liked it so much, and it's cool how much Walt Whitman was in here for her to be exposed to. It's just too much of a YA novel for me.

“If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles.” - Walt Whitman ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 14, 2022 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
—"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
—"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss-Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night—dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows her. Margo’s always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she’s always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they’re for Q.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,323,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible