Paper Towns (Hardcover) by John Green…

Paper Towns (Hardcover) (edition 2008)

by John Green (Author)

Member:adarcang
Title:Paper Towns (Hardcover)
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:Dutton Books (2008), Unknown Binding

Paper Towns by John Green

To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kathleen.morrow)
    Winter Town by Stephen Emond (faither)
    The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green
    Reality Check by Peter Abrahams (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The search for someone missing, a girl friend (Reality Check) and an ideal girl (Paper Towns) becomes a voyage of self-discovery for high school boys in different mysteries, one dialogue-rich and character-driven, the other plot-driven and suspenseful.… (more)
    The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (FFortuna)
    Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught (Runa)
    Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (Runa)
    Runa: Similar endings
    Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan (foggidawn)
    As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway (Runa)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (FFortuna)

English (304)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (309)
The book Paper Towns by John Green is an attempt of creating a high school love story with adventure and mystery. Quentin Jacobsen has admired Margo Roth Spiegelman since they were both small kids. Margo is adventurous and daring, constantly pushing Quentin, “Q”, out of his comfort zone. Q has always been intrigued by Margo and her view on life, how she refers to their town of Orlando as a “paper town”, longing for a more exciting life. After not having communicated for years, in their senior year of high school, Margo approaches Q and requests his assistance on an all night “ingenious campaign of revenge.” However, the next day, Margo disappears, only leaving behind sneaky and clever clues for Q, who is desperate to find her.
The story starts off strong, leaving the reader hooked on from the first pages. But it is Margo who makes the book so interesting. She is very independent. When she leaves suddenly and secretly for New York, she doesn’t want anybody to “save” her, she’s leaving because it’s her own decision and she’s sick of being treated less of what she is. She is just an overall interesting person. Like Q, the reader wants to learn more about her and the true reasoning behind her decisions. A popular quote regarding Margo’s character is “she loved mysteries so much that she became one.” So, when Margo disappears from the story, the story isn’t as exciting.
A big disappointment in this book was that it was very similar to one of John Green’s other novels, Looking For Alaska. Both stories take place in southeastern USA. They both include a mysterious, attractive, possibly suicidal female character who disappears midway through the story, leaving the awkward male character stunned at the absence of her presence, desperate to find her. A bit of diversity between the books would’ve been nice, to make it less predictable. John Green is a bit of an overrated author. As much as readers enjoy his funny yet sometimes tragic stories with a poetic outlook on life, there isn’t much variation between the plot of his novels.
Overall, the book Paper Towns is mostly exciting and includes a predictable yet interesting plot of adventure. The mystery elements regarding Margo and her personality make the story so interesting, but it could have been altered in some ways to make it more original and different from some of his other stories.
  ISMC14 | Mar 1, 2015 |
A book that is so often misunderstood it's tragic. Paper Towns (while arguably not as enjoyable as John Green's newer novel TFioS) is an excellent commentary on the trope of the manic pixie dream girl and exactly how terrible and ridiculous it is. However it's often criticized as a novel making use of that character when it's clearly subverting the trope.

While it's theme is brilliant the actual novel is a little dry, the characters who are not Margo are not very memorable. The most memorable parts of the book are the gags. Despite it's successor's high ground of being wise and well written, Paper Towns has quite a few wise statements all it's own and it's worth reading. ( )
  Dani.St-Onge | Mar 1, 2015 |
Paper Towns was my first experience reading John Green, and I’m a bit ambivalent about having a go at another one of his books. Not that I didn’t enjoy it – I managed to finish it without throwing the book down. The story started a little slow with the main character, Quentin, getting a visit through his bedroom window from Margo, his neighbour and secret heartthrob. They haven’t spoken in about 9 years but she manages to enlist him in a series of misdemeanours to get back at her cheating boyfriend. He follows along because he figures she’s HOT and wants to please her. The very next morning, she disappears, and although it’s common knowledge that he took part in all the breaking and entering, and other criminal activities – there are no consequences. The rest of the story consisted in his obsession in finding her, and with his friends tagging along. The characters are likeable, Radar being my favourite, (yes, he’s not the main character, but he seemed real to me), and Margo appeared too categorical and manipulative. Overall, it’s an enjoyable read. There is the suspense aspect where it isn’t clear whether Margo will be found alive. There is also the philosophic element in which Quentin must learn to accept people for who they really are, and not bully them in being copies of him. I’d certainly recommend this as a good clean young adult read. ( )
  Murielle_Cyr | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book made the second place of my John Green favorite books. I totally loved the road trip part. This book is funny, adventurous, and you will love the characters. This reminds me so much when i was younger and how teenagers feel infinite and powerful. This book is simply perfect. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
The narration of “Paper Towns” spends too much time in Quentin’s head, which, to be sure, is an entertaining place

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funfhausen, ChristianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Dan JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And after, when we went outside to look at her finished lantern from the road, I said I liked the way her light shone through the face that flickered in the dark.
-"Jack O'Lantern," Katrina Vandenberg in Atlas
People say friends don't destroy one another What do they know about friends?
-"Game shows Touch Our Lives," The Mountain Goats
To Julie Strauss- Gabel, without whom none of this could have become real.
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, thoses streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
Margo was not a miracle. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl.
I like finding stuff out about her. I mean, that I didn't know before. I had no idea who she really was. I honestly never thought of her as anything but my crazy beautiful friend who does all the crazy beautiful things.
What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a person is more than a person.
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," she says. "Yeah, that's true," I say. But then after I think about it for a second, I add, "But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241493X, Paperback)

Two-time Printz Medalist John Green’s New York Times bestseller and Edgar Award nominee, now in paperback!

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,817,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible