Sound Unbound: Sampling Digital Music and Culture

by Paul D. Miller

If Rhythm Science was about the flow of things, Sound Unbound is about the remix--how music, art, and literature have blurred the lines between what an artist can do and what a composer can create. In Sound Unbound, Rhythm Science author Paul Miller aka DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid asks artists to describe their work and compositional strategies in their own words. These are reports from the front lines on the role of sound and digital media in an information-based society. "Press 'play, '" Miller writes, "and this anthology says 'here goes.'" The groundbreaking mix CD that accompanies this book features Nam Jun Paik, the Dada Movement, John Cage, Sonic Youth, and many other examples of avant-garde music. Most of the CD's content comes from the archives of Sub Rosa, a legendary record label that has been the benchmark for archival sounds since the beginnings of electronic music [Publisher description].… (more)

My life was too chaotic to read this at the time, but I hope to pick it up again at a later date. Cool included CD; wouldn't want to play it at a dance party, though.

(Found at DC Public-- Main just wandering the shelves)
  deliriumshelves | Jan 14, 2024 |
I could of lived without some of the real heavy academic essays in this book. The history of electronic music, hip hop and sampling was great, I found it very interesting. Lots of artists and information that I had not read elsewhere. ( )
  zetetic23 | Aug 2, 2022 |
An anthology of articles on digital music and culture as well as a mix CD of 45 samples thereof. Put together by DJ Spooky, whose previous MIT publication, Rhythm Science, likewise paired book and music. The essays vary from overviews of specific areas (legal system in the age of sampling, network-based art ensembles) to reflections by musicians (Scanner on ghost images, Brian Eno on bells) to interviews (with Moby, Steve Reich and his wife/collaborator, Columbia Records's art director). The better writing makes the weaknesses in the lesser writing stand out, and the book could have used another strong edit pass (if we can't trust MIT to copyedit and to get the index right, whom can we?). The CD is excellent, with lots of spoken bits, from Gertrude Stein to William S. Burroughs, which makes an intelligent transition from the book; the CD isn't background music -- it is a text unto itself.

PS: I reviewed the book for Nature magazine. The web page says the full review requires payment to be read but in fact the full review appears on this page. The only thing behind the fee-wall is my author bio:

Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
It's now available as an ebook on the MIT press portal http://mitpress-ebooks.mit.edu/product/sound-unbound
  ipublishcentral | Jun 23, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,929,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible