HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Escape from the Deep by Alex Kershaw

Escape from the Deep (edition 2008)

by Alex Kershaw (Author)

Details the history of the U.S. Navy submarine Tang in the Pacific theater of World War II, the explosion that led to its sinking, the ordeal of its surviving crew members and their capture by the Japanese, followed by months of brutal captivity.
Member:cottageusedbooks
Title:Escape from the Deep
Authors:Alex Kershaw (Author)
Info:Da Capo Press (2008)

Work Information

Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine and Her Courageous Crew by Alex Kershaw

This is a quick read and engaging, but I felt like the could have been much more. I was still mixing up some of the men at the end. I think more background about the men and submarine warfare would have helped. ( )
  minkscat | Jan 29, 2022 |
Amazing true story, with an excellent reader, Richard Poe. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
This is the story of the men of the Uss Tang, a devastatingly effective Sub in WWII. The sub gets sunk in the Formosa Strait. 9 of the 87 survive. Some of the men were stuck on the bottom of the ocean and had to swim from the wreckage to the surface. Some 180 feet. The crew are the only people ever known to survive a sub crash using the Momsen lung.

One again Kershaw has taken some little known WWII story and turned it into a great story. ( )
1 vote JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Title: Escape From the Deep (The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine & Her Courageous Crew)
Author: Alex Kershaw
Pages: 270
Year: 2008
Publisher: Da Capo Press
My rating is us 5+ stars.
My first introduction to this author was through the Gary Sinise Foundation when he flew several WWII survivors and family members to the opening of The National WWII Museum. The author does an amazing job of detailing an incident that I don’t remember ever learning. The submarine was named The Tang and her crew was one of the most decorated in the submariner’s history as of the writing of the book. Alex Kershaw was actually able to talk to two members of the crew, who were well into their eighties, and did a lot of digging into the past with help from family members and others.
It’s hard to express what exactly sticks in my mind, because all of it does. These brave men were daring. Perhaps history should be taught more with books like this rather than from a textbook, because it makes it much more real. I would love to go the museum sometime though I am sure it would be an emotional journey, one I would never forget!
Until then, I highly recommend reading books that share about the lives of those in service to our country that we may never be able to thank because they are gone now. However, if we can share the stories of these brave men and their families, we can be reminded of the high cost our freedoms come with and be more thankful. Alex Kershaw has written other books and I plan to read more to share with my sons who love history too! I think Alex’s gift of sharing these true hero stories is wonderful as we sometime forget what a true hero is and isn’t in the society in which we live.
My deepest thanks to all who have, are and will serve in the armed forces!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
  lamb521 | Nov 6, 2015 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,815,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible