Monkeewrench by P. J. Tracy

Monkeewrench (2004)

by P. J. Tracy

1,209None6,597 (3.93)25
Recently added bycol2910, Miss.Oscar, Danielle.Gray, Jeff.Conrad, private library, illie, Sweettattoo, fvg, recrawfo

English (28)  Dutch (2)  All languages (30)
The first in a series about Grace, two Mpls cops, her software gang, and assorted other characters, like Sheriff Michael Halloran, or “Mickey” as Father Newberry calls him, and Deputy Bonar Carlson whose belt hung so low it would never see his belly button and who “ would have to kneel to reach his gun.”

It begins quite humorously, with Father Newberry trying to keep down the last creation of the well-meaning Sister Ignatius attempting to serve him with a “proper meal” which in that part of Wisconsin usually meant some mixture of hamburger and multiple canned soups, although on one occasion some kind of “rolled tubes that looked disturbingly like a casserole of severed penises.” Now that line truly brought a chuckle. Off to a good start.

He discovers John and Mary Kleinfeldt in the sanctuary, kneeling in a pew, and he wonders if they are there to yet again, to complain about some imagined homosexual in the congregation. Not this time. Each has a bullet hole in the base of the skull, and Mary has a cross carved in her chest.

Minneapolis detectives are faced with their own crime wave. It would seem that a killer is emulating scenes from a brand new online game designed by the Monkeewrench crew, a team of nerdy misfits who have managed to erase any trace of their former lives and also have the ability to retrieve just about any piece of information one might want about someone. Soon, despite being suspects, they are in league with the cops to track down the bad guy. And there are links to the Monkeewrench gang who seem to have no identify-able backgrounds.

The ending was a bit over the top, but this is the second of the Monkeewrench books I have listened to and will listen to more.

The characters are memorable, some of the lines LOL funny, and they all hate Minnesota winters. I suggest reading this one first as it adds a lot of backstory. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
I liked it. I look forward to the next one. I like me a good mystery. Thanks Jill for the suggestion! ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
A really great, engrossing story about a group of people who find someone living out their new crime computer game is gruesome fashion. The characters and likeable and realistic, and the plot is well designed. I hope to read more in the Grace MacBride series in the future. ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |
A killer is on the loose. The murders are identical to a computer game that isn’t available for purchase yet. It is on the company’s website and has over 500 subscribers. Is the killer one of the subscribers or is it someone else? I loved this book. I had someone I thought was the killer from the beginning, but was way off. It had some twists that I never saw coming. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Mar 29, 2013 |
I thought this was a good first book in a series. The Monkeewrench group is an interesting mix of characters, forever joined by tragedy. Their lifestyle may be a bit of an over-reaction, but it tells you a lot about them. And for once, the advanced technology used in the book doesn’t seem like too far of a stretch. The killer was well-concealed, so I enjoyed the reveal. This is a series I’ll definitely continue. ( )
  miyurose | Nov 27, 2012 |
For Edie and Don Hepler
We remember
The brandy had been absolutely essential.
U.S. Title: Monkeewrench
U.K. Title: Want To Play?

Great characters, I had to know what happens with Grace, Magotse and the team. When I finished this book I went and read all the others and am eagerly waiting for the next to be published. Towards the end I felt the baddy was a member of the team, despite being a little predictable I really enjoyed this book. As did most of my book club!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121157X, Mass Market Paperback)

People are dying for the new computer game by the software company Monkeewrench. Literally. With Serial Killer Detective out in limited release, the real-life murders of a jogger and a young woman have already mimicked the first two scenarios in the game.

But Grace McBride and her eccentric Monkeewrench partners are caught in a vise. If they tell the Minneapolis police of the link between their game and the murders, they'll shine a spotlight on the past they thought they had erased-and the horror they thought they'd left behind. If they don't, eighteen more people will die...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:20 -0400)

Grace MacBride and the team at her software company are horrified when events in their murder mystery computer game are replicated in the real world by a ruthless killer.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible