Monkeewrench by P. J. Tracy

Monkeewrench (2004)

by P. J. Tracy

Series: Monkeewrench (1)

English (33)  Dutch (2)  All languages (35)
I had never heard of this series until I saw one of the future books recommended for a group discussion. I decided to read the first two in anticipation and am I ever glad I did! What a fantastic debut filled with everything I personally look for in a great story. The characters are exceptional and the detectives are filled with both personality and humor. There were twists and turns I never saw coming and I really wanted to know “who dunnit” but at the same time was reluctant to have it end.

The premise of the story is that a group of computer game designers (Monkeewrench) are severely disturbed when images from their online game, Serial Killer Detective, conceived and designed by Grace McBride are used in a series of murders. They reluctantly team up with the police, even though all five of them have something to hide. Don’t be fooled into thinking that this story is about one lone detective on a solo mission to solve a serial murder case. This is a whole group of detectives and their crews from two different states working together to find a serial killer. The plot was constructed brilliantly and everything came together smoothly. There were no leaps in logic....just a straightforward thriller.

There are two secondary characters that found their way into my heart. Jackson, a nine-year-old black foster child and Grace's dog, Charlie, who has a pathological fear of everything that breathes, but who all together is genuinely adorable. Even if you don't like this book you will love those two. But, I guarantee, you won't hate this book. You might not love it as much as I did, but you won't be sorry you read it. I can't wait to get to the next book, Live Bait. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
The team at Monkeewrench are in the final stages of developing a game focusing on catching a serial killer. 20 murders were staged and clues hidden throughout the game. The advance orders are pouring in. And then their murder scenes become reality. The Minneapolis police focus on this group of weird individuals and uncover things best left in the past. But somehow the past reaches into the present. I really liked the strange group at Monkeewrench and the interplay between the police team members. Looking forward to read more of this series. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Buck Shirner.
3.5***

On a particularly cold October morning a priest in a small Wisconsin town discovers his two most devoted parishioners have been murdered while in their pew. As the sheriff begins his investigation he soon discovers that they have a mysterious past, and were obviously afraid of someone or something. Meanwhile in Minneapolis / St Paul, a serial killer is recreating the scenes in a newly popular web-based game. The Monkeewrench crew – a group of high intelligent computer geeks who develop computer games – is first to recognize the connection, but as soon as they go to the police they find themselves considered suspects rather than potentially valuable allies in finding the killer.

The two cases are connected … but it will be awhile before the police (and the reader) discover how.

Tracy has crafted a good suspense thriller. The plot moves quickly, the clues are not obvious (but they are there), and there’s an undercurrent of sexual tension between a couple of characters that keeps things interesting. If I have a complaint it’s that the main female character – Grace McBride – is just a little too detached and weak-kneed., yet she ALWAYS carries her Sig and has her home and office made into veritable fortresses. Just doesn’t quite add up. In fact, most of the female characters were poorly written in comparison to the men.

Still, it kept me turning pages (or changing CDs as the case may be). I would definitely read another book by Tracy, but I’d much rather read about Halloran (the Wisconsin sheriff).

Buck Shirner does a respectable job of the audio version. His pace is good and his voice inflection lends the right tone of seriousness or levity as required. He’s not quite so skilled with the female characters, but I love his voice for the many male detectives (and suspects).
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Uncomplicated suspense with the right amount of far fetch-ed ness to be entertaining without being scary. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book! I ate it up in less than 3 days. If you love suspenseful murder mysteries, then this should be your next stop. Monkeewrench hits the ground running with a fast tracked story that keeps you turning the page. There is never a dull moment in this book. ( )
  aurora.smith | Oct 5, 2014 |

P. J. Tracyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Edie and Don Hepler
We remember
The brandy had been absolutely essential.
U.S. Title: Monkeewrench
U.K. Title: Want To Play?

Great characters, I had to know what happens with Grace, Magotse and the team. When I finished this book I went and read all the others and am eagerly waiting for the next to be published. Towards the end I felt the baddy was a member of the team, despite being a little predictable I really enjoyed this book. As did most of my book club!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121157X, Mass Market Paperback)

People are dying for the new computer game by the software company Monkeewrench. Literally. With Serial Killer Detective out in limited release, the real-life murders of a jogger and a young woman have already mimicked the first two scenarios in the game.

But Grace McBride and her eccentric Monkeewrench partners are caught in a vise. If they tell the Minneapolis police of the link between their game and the murders, they'll shine a spotlight on the past they thought they had erased-and the horror they thought they'd left behind. If they don't, eighteen more people will die...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

Grace MacBride and the team at her software company are horrified when events in their murder mystery computer game are replicated in the real world by a ruthless killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible